Pygmy cham unknown injury

jojothefirst

I posted a thread a few weeks ago talking about her (is she def a girl?) injury and people didnt seems to know what it was.
Its still there so thought i would get some pics up to see if anyone can help.

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

The back left leg is able to move but has no grip. Origanaly both legs were black but now just the left still is.
There were some crix in the tank before i got here so questioned if it could be a bite but surely it would have shown more improvement by now?
She seems to otherwise fine and eating.

Just a shot in the dark here since I'm still learning about chams but is there any chance there is a stuck shed constricting the leg? I know when leopard geckos get stuck sheds they can lose toes, tail tips, and grip (for some of the cresties and gargs) when they haven't gotten all the shed off properly.

If you think they might be cricket bites they likely would go 1 of 2 ways... better or infected. If they're not improving I would think first of infection if I suspected cricket bites or some other type of external injury. The leg does look more swollen than the other and with discoloration there is a good chance of infection going on. Do you know a good herp vet? Might be time for a visit.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago talking about her (is she def a girl?) injury and people didnt seems to know what it was.
Its still there so thought i would get some pics up to see if anyone can help.

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

The back left leg is able to move but has no grip. Origanaly both legs were black but now just the left still is.
There were some crix in the tank before i got here so questioned if it could be a bite but surely it would have shown more improvement by now?
She seems to otherwise fine and eating.

Very hard to say, but just in case you didn't know, most chams will show a very dark grey to blackish area if their skin gets bruised. Possibly the injury was "skin deep" and is slowly resolving on its own. A cham may not choose to use a leg or foot simply because it hurts to move. Its a good sign that the dark area is getting smaller and the cham is eating though.

seeing as she is a female, the dark discoloration from the vent on, im lead to believe she is severely impacted and/or egg bound. has she stopped eating/drinking? ive lots 2 brevs this way and it is either a very white or dark discolouration around the lower abdomen/vent area. i wish you 2 the best

seeing as she is a female, the dark discoloration from the vent on, im lead to believe she is severely impacted and/or egg bound. has she stopped eating/drinking? ive lots 2 brevs this way and it is either a very white or dark discolouration around the lower abdomen/vent area. i wish you 2 the best

I have seen her have at least 1 good poo whilt she has had this problem.
She does look fat to me though so being egg bound is a worry...... if she is, would that effect the leg is this way?
I meen, I have seen storys of veileds being so impacted/eggbound that they can not use both back legs as a nerve is being pinched, were as my pig is using the back right fine and the left is able to move ok but cant grip.
What can I do if she is egg bound?

I seen her eat today...... dont know how much but she def ate.

I don't know about in chams but one of my box turtles was full of eggs to the point that one of her back legs was really swollen. She could still use it but it was huge. The eggs were pushing against the vessels of her leg and blocking drainage of blood and lymph from the leg but it wasn't affecting the nerves as far I could tell. She laid her eggs normally not long after and it resolved completely. Her leg never turned black, but then again as a turtle there's less opportunity for color change. Don't know if that helps but thought I'd at least offer some experience with that issue.

I had a terrible experience with my most beloved cham. Tuffy, a female w/c quad got out of her cage and on to the floor. I did not know she was there and hit her with the door. She turned black like your girl but hers went farther up on her body. I thought I killed her. It seemed to take forever but she recovered fine. it sure broke my heart when I lost her many months and 3 clutches later. She will always be #1 in my heart.

I hope your little girl is ok. Could she have gotten caught in anything in her cage? Just a wild guess, sorry but all I have to offer.

I don't know about in chams but one of my box turtles was full of eggs to the point that one of her back legs was really swollen. She could still use it but it was huge. The eggs were pushing against the vessels of her leg and blocking drainage of blood and lymph from the leg but it wasn't affecting the nerves as far I could tell. She laid her eggs normally not long after and it resolved completely. Her leg never turned black, but then again as a turtle there's less opportunity for color change. Don't know if that helps but thought I'd at least offer some experience with that issue.

from what I can see her leg isnt swollen...... she does look like she could be carrying egg's though so hopefully shes not egg bound.

I had a terrible experience with my most beloved cham. Tuffy, a female w/c quad got out of her cage and on to the floor. I did not know she was there and hit her with the door. She turned black like your girl but hers went farther up on her body. I thought I killed her. It seemed to take forever but she recovered fine. it sure broke my heart when I lost her many months and 3 clutches later. She will always be #1 in my heart.

I hope your little girl is ok. Could she have gotten caught in anything in her cage? Just a wild guess, sorry but all I have to offer.

That must have been terrible!
How long did it take for yours to recover?
From the research I have done (and its been hard because there isnt much info on this problem) I have read that there is a good chance that she could have been bruised some how but she was (at the time) only in a 1 foot high tank with something lighly placed over the top so it houldnt have got caught and I dont think a fall from that high could have done it.
There were some black crickets in the tank (size 2 - 3)

So from what everyone is saying I think its either that she is egg bound or its bruised some how, possible from a cricket bite......... lets hope its the later and she recovers slowly.

Appriciate all the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom