Problems with the laying bin

My girl is going into her THIRD clutch of eggs and I NEED to make sure I have this right for her!

So for her egg-laying bin, I prepared a 5gallon pot with black playsand. I checked the water ration and successfully dug a "J" shaped tunnel and it held perfectly. I even have a branch sticking out of the pot, angled and connected to her favorite perch to ensure she can get in and out of the bin. Now here's my dilemma.

The first clutch, I had this settup prepared for her all nice and ready in her cage. However, I found that she'd much rather dig in the dirt in the pot from which her Umbrella Plant was sprouted.

So for the second clutch around, I had prepared her egg-laying bin again, same as before. However this time I had placed descend-sized potting stones, hoping it would draw her attention to the more appeasing egglaying bin I had prepared. To my surprise, she fought with intent against the stones, pushing them out of the way and STILL dug herself into the pot containing her Umbrella Plant. She actually pushed some of the stones out of the pot itself!

How can I possibly prepare the egg laying bin to attract her more than the pot with her plant!?!? I'm at a loss considering it's a pain in the butt trying to collect eggs around roots and one can only imagine the sheer strain of digging in such rooted soil, WITH STONES!!!

I will try topsoil next (like in the video)

Cant hurt.
Some females are just picky when it comes to what they lay in. and it sounds like your female is picky, since she even moved the large rocks to get to the dirt, when she had an easy to access bucket of sand.

Let me know how it works. Il lbe setting up my laying bucket myself soon for my female veiled. :D

Back
Top Bottom