Problem breeding anti-social female veiled

Django

I have a two year old female veiled chameleon. I purchased her from another breeder about 6 months ago. She has never been bred - but has laid eggs 3 times (the last time was almost two months ago). She is very anti-social (lol) - she reacts by gaping and hissing even when I water her plants. She is very difficult to hold and bites if she can - I have actually had to use a cloth to pick her up when I need to move her to clean her cage.

I have tried on several ocassions to introduce my male to her - but she always goes immediately black. Because she gets so stressed by being moved -I have not put her in with the male very often - but put him with her. Either way - she is definately not interested. She has had two seasons where she is displaying blue spots/stripes - still not interest. Also - I had another male who died about three months after I got her - when I tried with him (I think twice) she reacted the same.

Other than her social problems she is very active - eats well - and otherwise seems extremely healthy.

Any ideas about what I should do?

Dark background color means that she is non-receptive or gravid....its not a good idea to put her with the male when she's like that.

Have you tried picking her up on a stick? She might be easier to move that way.

I take my female on a stick and hold her in front of the male's cage where they can see each other and observe their reactions. If the female shows signs of being receptive (does not show the dark background color, moves slowly away from the male, holds her body close to the branch, doesn't hiss, gape,etc. and doesn't inflate her body) and the male reacts in a non-aggressive fashion then I put the female in with him.

what colours female has when she is receptive?
doese anyone have any pictur of receptive female

She gets blue spots and stripes - robins egg color - kind of a light neon blue color. Some females don't ever get this 'blue' tinge - even when they are receptive - so the telltale sign is how they respond to the male. If they turn black and gape - rocking back and forth - that means they are not interested. I'll try to get a picture next time she shows her blue.

Back
Top Bottom