How much to feed if gravid?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Hi. I've had my male for about 2 years (rescue off of Craig's List) and gotten him healthy, big and beautiful. I've had my female about a year and a half, bought her from a breeder when she was 3 months old. Yesterday I put the two together and they were both vey happy about it. They "connected" several times but I have no idea if any of them were successful breedings. They were so good together that I let them spend the night together and they slept side by side. The following afternoon she started gaping and hissing at him so I put her back in her own, newly remodeled habitat. (great chance to clean and rearrange when she's spending the day with her honey!)

I am keeping a close eye on her and her weight to see if there is any egg development but search as I might, I can't find info on how much to feed her now. Does she need MORE food to assist with growing babies or does she need LESS food so the clutch isn't too large? Thanks in advance. FYI, he main diet is dubia roaches with weekly silk worm treats.
Sue

How much have you been feeding her? I pretty much feed my girl the normal amount I usually feed. Closer to egg laying, I add liquid calcium to their diet.
They're not on a fixed schedule (should they be?). It's more like when I'm in that room anyway I'll give each of them 4-5 dubias and maybe a silkworm, that's probably 3 times a week. If my grandchildren are over and want to watch the chamelons eat the lucky guys get an etra feeding, or I wait a couple of days before I feed them again. I started giving the female slightly less in the month before I was planning to put them together but don't know if I should now beef her up or keep her lean.

Back
Top Bottom