Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

It's nice to see her hold herself up, because otherwise she's just flat to a surface.
I'm going to encourage floor time and movement daily to help with her mobility.

Just waiting on that poop.

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I just got a brand new baby baby bearded dragon. He/she keeps closing its eyes, and I have a 10.0 UVB bulb and a 100W light bulb for heat. The basking is about 100 degrees, and the cool is about 85. I'm really nervous, I tried to hold he/she, but I think I'll wait for a week to start handling. Thank you.

Closing eyes in which sense? Is he or she lethargic? or alert, but with eyes closed? Like with chameleons, eye closing can be a way to cope with discomfort. Beardies usually do it to decline stuff, like food.
If he or she is closing one eye at a time and looking around with the other, it's normal baby stuff

I started handling my baby beardies right away, but it's best to let them settle in to the enclosure first and expand from there.

Closing eyes in which sense? Is he or she lethargic? or alert, but with eyes closed? Like with chameleons, eye closing can be a way to cope with discomfort. Beardies usually do it to decline stuff, like food.
If he or she is closing one eye at a time and looking around with the other, it's normal baby stuff

I started handling my baby beardies right away, but it's best to let them settle in to the enclosure first and expand from there.
One eye is closed, the other is looking around, so that is nice to know. I'm a little worried on handling, how would you recommend picking up a baby bearded dragon?

Ok that's good! Normal baby stuff, they do grow out of it, for the most part.

I scoop them from the front so they see it coming. Scoop and lift under the belly, never pluck them up like a bird claw. Also avoid passing your hand over the top of their head until they are comfortable and realize you're not a bird.
Support all four feet or they'll try and back up or flail

Ok that's good! Normal baby stuff, they do grow out of it, for the most part.

I scoop them from the front so they see it coming. Scoop and lift under the belly, never pluck them up like a bird claw. Also avoid passing your hand over the top of their head until they are comfortable and realize you're not a bird.
Support all four feet or they'll try and back up or flail
Okay, so try to stick my finger under their body, then lift up?

Last edited:
Essentially, yes. Slide your hand under the chin and down the belly and lift. I still do this even with my non babies, but it's an entire palm I use, lol.

They may back up the first couple times until they understand what you're doing. I like to support them from behind with my other hand once I pick them up, just because the backing up dance is strong in the little ones
IMAG3328.jpg

Essentially, yes. Slide your hand under the chin and down the belly and lift. I still do this even with my non babies, but it's an entire palm I use, lol.

They may back up the first couple times until they understand what you're doing. I like to support them from behind with my other hand once I pick them up, just because the backing up dance is strong in the little ones
View attachment 188604
Awesome, thank you for the help! I'll post a picture tomorrow of he/she when the lights come on! c:

I'd like that!
You got me looking at my beardie baby pictures now
Beardies are awesome . I have been raising them for 30+ years . My first love :love:. I do the same whole palm our youngest will scoot himself back so he's on your arm that's where he likes to be puts his little hands on your your hand . I as well start pretty quickly handling . Really thrive with handling . Young ones love to jump ,Leap and run so beware of that @Classy . Have you Joined the bearded dragon site @Classy ? Theirs lots of us over there too .

Beardies are awesome . I have been raising them for 30+ years . My first love :love:. I do the same whole palm our youngest will scoot himself back so he's on your arm that's where he likes to be puts his little hands on your your hand . I as well start pretty quickly handling . Really thrive with handling . Young ones love to jump ,Leap and run so beware of that @Classy . Have you Joined the bearded dragon site @Classy ? Theirs lots of us over there too .
I'll post the pictures once my phone charges, I'm going to try to handle right now, I'm so scared.

Back
Top Bottom