Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Traildrifterphalanx, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Kristen Wilkins

Kristen Wilkins Chameleon Enthusiast

Oh I understand that and why . That never ends even if you did not lose the girls but that makes everything so much worse .

He looks to be doing great from what you are posting . Eating , drinking , basking , pooping .

2. Traildrifterphalanx

Traildrifterphalanx Avid Member

I think he's not a big fan of the roaches and is scavenging for food. I may have to stop at a petsmart and pick up some small crickets for him until next paycheck, or look for another way to present the roaches to him.

Otherwise he is doing really well. He's nice and plump again today. His urates I'm seeing are still white. I've never seen him sitting with his eyes closed or rubbing his eyes on anything. I've observed him cleaning his eyes when I first got him when the mist was going off

Kristen Wilkins likes this.
  3. Traildrifterphalanx

He was clinging to the screen door so I took him on his first trip outside, and boy was he nervous.
    Didn't help my elderly neighbor pulled up as I was out there yelling WHAT ARE YOU HOLDING?? and proceeded to come over. I told her he was scared so she did keep her distance.

Overall he had an experience. He was clearly fearful, and I let him play in the sapling, and he just kept running down the trunk as fast as he could. I didn't want to stress with photos, too, but I got these.

IMAG4119.jpg IMAG4122.jpg

4. Kristen Wilkins

You will have to set up an out side enclosure. Then V can go out and not be so fearful .

We live in the tourist capital of a his little town sandwich Mass . When I have the babies out side people love taking pics . I have to tell them with Frances back off and keep your phone put away . They must think I'm a nut , but she HATES phones . So I don't really care .

5. Traildrifterphalanx

Word on the street is crickets can't jump on stainless steel, so I got V a new dish
    1502575661969-1398841136.jpg
    So far no one has jumped, even when I stuck my hand in the bowl. Added a few crickets and the roaches he didn't finish.

V already tucked himself into bed, so we'll see how tomorrow morning looks.

I'd be very interested in an outdoor enclosure for V, if not the tents I use for the dragons. If I could make a screened enclosure on wheels that'd be ideal. Perhaps an over the winter project

Kristen Wilkins and Classy like this.
  6. Kristen Wilkins

Rolling would be awesome . Move him to his outdoor that mimics his indoor and Roll him out side . You probably could rig something up to hydrate and he could be out for a few hours safely .

7. Kristen Wilkins

it would be a great dead winter project . If you root out some potho's and umbrella they would be in good shape for next summer .

8. Traildrifterphalanx

His umbrella plant is going crazy with new leaves, so I'll have to start actively pruning and get some little clippings to start new plants or he'll be overrun

9. Kristen Wilkins

Fantastic get going Dad !!.

10. Traildrifterphalanx

I stole a pothos plant from my Pacman frog and now he's giving me frog looks. I can't tell if he's upset or not...
    IMAG4124.jpg
    He's a lot easier to see now :)

I planted it with V's pothos

Kristen Wilkins and jamest0o0 like this.
  11. Kristen Wilkins

Oh no don't piss the pecman off !!. How dare you take his plant !!.

12. Kristen Wilkins

What a handsome lad !!.

13. Traildrifterphalanx

He's very cute. He's been hiding out in his frog crater, but has been checking out his plant situation... sorry, buddy.

I think I initially gave him four clippings, he can spare one

14. Kristen Wilkins

He wants them back lol

15. Traildrifterphalanx

V has spoken.

He ate all the crickets out of the dish and left the roaches. Hint taken, buddy

16. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Chameleon Enthusiast

Just realized this thread is on page 61!!!! What has been going on here?! Catch me up

17. Traildrifterphalanx

Uhhh let's see..

Gulool ja ja didn't make it, Mamool ja didn't make it, redid the entire enclosure, bought a mist king, got Vedool ja last Friday from FL chams, he's doing well, doesn't like dubia.

I think those are the highlights

Scottsquatch and Kristen Wilkins like this.
  18. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Chameleon Enthusiast

We're the other 2 the ones from the pet stores? I think I saw that. Sorry for your loss :(.

From the looks of it you're doing great now. @Kristen Wilkins is awesome. Glad to see things are on the up. And welcome to the my-cham-won't-eat-these-damn-dubia-and-now-they're-taking-over-my-house-club :)

Katacara and Classy like this.
  19. Classy

Classy Member

Haha, my little guy just walks away from the dubias, then I put crickets in and he goes right for them xD.

jamest0o0 likes this.