Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

It's interesting, she's really favoring holding onto the pothos vines since being sick. When she was feeling better, she liked the sticks.

I'll be giving her her next meds dose in probably the next hour.

It's interesting, she's really favoring holding onto the pothos vines since being sick. When she was feeling better, she liked the sticks.

I'll be giving her her next meds dose in probably the next hour.
Frances loves her potho's' when out side her Hibiscus . She has one as well in a window more for winter when she can't go out . She goes right to it will hang out till it's time for her to get back in her enclosure.

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
That's two babies in the span of one month. I understand they are fragile and specialized pets, I understand hydration is key, but I'm doing everything I can with them. This forum topic is proof of that. I'm constantly monitoring them.

I've had two seemingly healthy chameleons just gradually get worse in my care until they passed. I can't help but feel it's something I'm doing wrong and not just bad luck.

I forced myself to go to work, but I'm just crying at my desk.
I'm not sure where I plan to go from here. I'd love to try again, but I can't handle to constant heartbreak, and I have to recover from the $300+ I spent trying to keep the past two going

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
That's two babies in the span of one month. I understand they are fragile and specialized pets, I understand hydration is key, but I'm doing everything I can with them. This forum topic is proof of that. I'm constantly monitoring them.

I've had two seemingly healthy chameleons just gradually get worse in my care until they passed. I can't help but feel it's something I'm doing wrong and not just bad luck.

I forced myself to go to work, but I'm just crying at my desk.
I'm not sure where I plan to go from here. I'd love to try again, but I can't handle to constant heartbreak, and I have to recover from the $300+ I spent trying to keep the past two going
They both came to you dehydrated and with respiratory issues . Which presented right away . Handling can cause stress initially till they get used to their enclosure and Territory , but you had to handle them . You did so so much . I get what you are saying and I would feel the same if I lost 2 babies as you did . You had some of the best keepers on this thread and they did not pick up on Husbandry issues . Now none of use live with you so we are going by what we see and read but from that you are an amazing new keeper . You did all you could do for the little girl . RIP little Mamool . Don't give up on keeping . Just find a reputable veiled keeper that can show you mom ,dad , and grandparents . You know at this point what you are looking for in health . You have been through 2 extremely dehydrated chameleons with respiratory infections . You will need to gut the enclosure to clean out before new baby .

Last edited:
I'm going to try and recoup some loses by speaking with the store I got her from after work.
It's beyond their "14 day guarantee" by just 4 days, but I have vet bills to show that I received her ill. Money is not important right now, but if I wait too long this may no longer be an option to dispute, and I'd like to salvage what I can and put that toward another purchase. If I can't, oh well.

I sprayed the enclosure with F10 after removing her, but I do plan to gut everything and clean thoroughly. Place plants in the shower, etc.
I might also consider the placement of the enclosure. The plants are doing well, I love being able to watch the chameleon, but maybe the placement is an issue somehow. I know misting was always a whole process as I have so many electrical outlets etc nearby for the television, but I could just move how this is set up to correct the issue. It never stopped me from misting, but it was something I always had to be extra careful about and sop up water with towels. I added a shower curtain to the sides, but this was a band-aid fix. I'd love to make the setup a little more optimal for me and the chameleon.

I may be looking into purchasing an older chameleon when I'm ready. I still want to go veiled, but maybe juvi-sub adult will give better results and have a stronger system.

Besides FL Chams, is there another reputable veiled chameleon breeder?

Poor little Mamool.
RIP sweet baby

I'm going to try and recoup some loses by speaking with the store I got her from after work.
It's beyond their "14 day guarantee" by just 4 days, but I have vet bills to show that I received her ill. Money is not important right now, but if I wait too long this may no longer be an option to dispute, and I'd like to salvage what I can and put that toward another purchase. If I can't, oh well.

I sprayed the enclosure with F10 after removing her, but I do plan to gut everything and clean thoroughly. Place plants in the shower, etc.
I might also consider the placement of the enclosure. The plants are doing well, I love being able to watch the chameleon, but maybe the placement is an issue somehow. I know misting was always a whole process as I have so many electrical outlets etc nearby for the television, but I could just move how this is set up to correct the issue. It never stopped me from misting, but it was something I always had to be extra careful about and sop up water with towels. I added a shower curtain to the sides, but this was a band-aid fix. I'd love to make the setup a little more optimal for me and the chameleon.

I may be looking into purchasing an older chameleon when I'm ready. I still want to go veiled, but maybe juvi-sub adult will give better results and have a stronger system.

Besides FL Chams, is there another reputable veiled chameleon breeder?

Poor little Mamool.
RIP sweet baby
Yes misting is absolutely essential !!. If you can move the enclosure maybe you would be able to have an automatic Mister . I know you like to hand mist as well and you still can I do both . Yes you would have to figure out drainage but it's easy I did so can you :love:. I would recontact FLChams as well .

The biggest thing with big box stores is they know they are selling sick chameleon .

Last edited:
I would check on here . I'm sure a lot have been following this thread with out posting . Take your time make the changes that you need to , take your time healing . This is a lot for you and I know how much you loved both of them . I know you will want to fill the enclosure and it being empty is a reminder . Take some time and regroup and we are always here .

That's very true.
I went to Petsmart right after getting Mamool from Pet Supplies Plus, and they had 2 little male babies in a small critter keeper (ridiculously small), hanging from the top and looking pretty good otherwise. Very active, lively, eyes were nice and rounded. Clearly had just arrived. I was a little sad I hadn't stopped there first before getting Mamool because they looked healthier, though smaller, but I would never have it in my heart to return her.

I just went in to that same Petsmart this weekend for some emergency crickets while I wait on my shipment and both the males were on the ground, eyes closed, and very sickly. They're still for sale at full price. It was a very upsetting sight.

That's very true.
I went to Petsmart right after getting Mamool from Pet Supplies Plus, and they had 2 little male babies in a small critter keeper (ridiculously small), hanging from the top and looking pretty good otherwise. Very active, lively, eyes were nice and rounded. Clearly had just arrived. I was a little sad I hadn't stopped there first before getting Mamool because they looked healthier, though smaller, but I would never have it in my heart to return her.

I just went in to that same Petsmart this weekend for some emergency crickets while I wait on my shipment and both the males were on the ground, eyes closed, and very sickly. They're still for sale at full price. It was a very upsetting sight.
Yes it's very sad . Frances came from petsmart . She has had 5 URI with eye issues . I would do it all the same looking back . I know so many do not agree and that's fine . She stole our hearts first glances . We had the means to take care of her great vets 2 of them and willing to learn and make changes as necessary . It was 1 year the 22nd of this month sense her purchase date .

Those stores suck and should be band from selling these precious beauties . I no longer go to them it's heart braking .

For future veiled I will go with a reputable breeder . Panthers will alway only be @Matt Vanilla Gorilla .

Thank you very much for your kind words.
Both JaJa and Mamool had an unfair shot at life, but I hope they felt loved and cared for in their short time with me.

I'm going to try speaking to FL Chams again before jumping into anything.
I gave myself no time between JaJa and Mamool, but I think this time I'm ready to wait a bit more, especially after the financial hit with medical bills for Mamool and some other financial priorities I'd like to have cleared up first.

I'd like to get an actual drain system set up with the enclosure. Currently, it's a large serving tray that collects fluid and I use the gravel vacuum for my aquatic frogs to vacuum it out. It works, but it's probably not ideal. The main issue I have is that the mist soaks everything to the sides of the enclosure, so I'm always there with a towel to wipe things down. With the shower curtain, it just runs down the sides and into the carpet, which is now covered with a towel, but the shower curtain defeats the purpose of having it screened the way I have it right now.
I think I'll move the enclosure into my office. It's right next to the living room, has a large window that faces north, and is quiet and generally unused. If I can figure out how to not soak everything around the enclosure when I'm not there to clean it up, I'll definitely look into an automatic mister. That has truly been my main concern is just saturating stuff when I'm not there.

It's just so hard because she seemed to be getting better, but I guess her little system just couldn't take it anymore and gave out.

Thank you very much for your kind words.
Both JaJa and Mamool had an unfair shot at life, but I hope they felt loved and cared for in their short time with me.

I'm going to try speaking to FL Chams again before jumping into anything.
I gave myself no time between JaJa and Mamool, but I think this time I'm ready to wait a bit more, especially after the financial hit with medical bills for Mamool and some other financial priorities I'd like to have cleared up first.

I'd like to get an actual drain system set up with the enclosure. Currently, it's a large serving tray that collects fluid and I use the gravel vacuum for my aquatic frogs to vacuum it out. It works, but it's probably not ideal. The main issue I have is that the mist soaks everything to the sides of the enclosure, so I'm always there with a towel to wipe things down. With the shower curtain, it just runs down the sides and into the carpet, which is now covered with a towel, but the shower curtain defeats the purpose of having it screened the way I have it right now.
I think I'll move the enclosure into my office. It's right next to the living room, has a large window that faces north, and is quiet and generally unused. If I can figure out how to not soak everything around the enclosure when I'm not there to clean it up, I'll definitely look into an automatic mister. That has truly been my main concern is just saturating stuff when I'm not there.

It's just so hard because she seemed to be getting better, but I guess her little system just couldn't take it anymore and gave out.
I find the misting system gets things less wet . The nozzle comes from above ,you can place it into a plant .

I would definitely chat with FLChams . Their very reputable . I have heard their hard to get ahold of but I do believe they would care and want to know .

Chameleon are so delicate especially the young ones . The mortality rate is high but usually Higher 0 to 6 weeks . They have very thin skin and they dehydrate so very quickly humidity and misting is key for the babies .

Mamool was so very dehydrated she could have had kidney issues or failure . Antibiotics take there own toll on kidneys never mind in a chameleon that's already dehydrated . Both girls were dehydrated from the getgo . You have no idea the care prior to you getting Mamool . JaJa was so tiny and dehydrated but she did come from a good place that will have records I'm sure .

That is a really good point regarding kidneys.
She didn't show any real signs of an URI near the end, minus the mucus during the shower. No popping or squeaking, no deep inhales.

I got up for work and put the dragons back in the enclosure (I take them to bed with me...) and checked on her as I passed by and could not find her. I put the dragons away and ran over to check, stuck my head in, couldn't find her, and then I saw a dark shadow through her food cup :( and it was her. She passed away and fell into her cup.

Last night she did appear to have some swelling on her lower left side right before lights out that concerned me, but when I removed her to look her over, it seemed to go away, so I figured maybe she was just turned funny when I saw her but was still concerned. I'm wondering now if that was the start of her system failure

That is a really good point regarding kidneys.
She didn't show any real signs of an URI near the end, minus the mucus during the shower. No popping or squeaking, no deep inhales.

I got up for work and put the dragons back in the enclosure (I take them to bed with me...) and checked on her as I passed by and could not find her. I put the dragons away and ran over to check, stuck my head in, couldn't find her, and then I saw a dark shadow through her food cup :( and it was her. She passed away and fell into her cup.

Last night she did appear to have some swelling on her lower left side right before lights out that concerned me, but when I removed her to look her over, it seemed to go away, so I figured maybe she was just turned funny when I saw her but was still concerned. I'm wondering now if that was the start of her system failure
Could have been .
Could have been . Their so very delicate everything have to be balanced . They can't just tell us what wrong .

Not at this time. It's only been a few minutes, however.
I'm just reading up on basic care again just to make sure I didn't do something wrong
You can start a new thread on health clinic . Refill out the care sheet . If you really believe it's something you missed . See if new eyes see anything .

You may need to keep emailing FLChams or you can call as well . I've read on several threads they're hard to get a hold of him right now .

Back
Top Bottom