Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

All good, I'll be patient for now.
I'll spend the next couple days getting the enclosure cleaned up and moved and not worry too much about getting another one too quickly, but I feel like as much as I want to restrain myself, it won't be long til another is living in there.
Just have to be smart and make sure everything is properly sanitized. Might even change a few things up inside as well.

I've been looking at mist king systems for the past while. It helps distract me from what I'll be facing when I get home.

All good, I'll be patient for now.
I'll spend the next couple days getting the enclosure cleaned up and moved and not worry too much about getting another one too quickly, but I feel like as much as I want to restrain myself, it won't be long til another is living in there.
Just have to be smart and make sure everything is properly sanitized. Might even change a few things up inside as well.

I've been looking at mist king systems for the past while. It helps distract me from what I'll be facing when I get home.
From what I do know about you I believe your right you will have a new addition . Talk with FLChams . I know the experience with JaJa was horrific but I think they can help you . I have not dealt with them . Septiceye came from Matt and I will only get panthers from him . I wish he breed veiled but he does not .

I asked them for photos of the juvi males they have available, or at least a select few. I know I haven't even gotten to experience egg related issues with the two girls, but I figure why not mix it up and try a boy.
I know if he does thrive he'll need a bigger enclosure, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. So far my longest chameleon was Mamool at 20 days. Hard to believe it had only been that long

I asked them for photos of the juvi males they have available, or at least a select few. I know I haven't even gotten to experience egg related issues with the two girls, but I figure why not mix it up and try a boy.
I know if he does thrive he'll need a bigger enclosure, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. So far my longest chameleon was Mamool at 20 days. Hard to believe it had only been that long
I know :( . I'm so very sorry . Did you hear back already ?

I have not heard back, no

What I may end up doing is waiting until next week Thursday/Friday to move forward on a purchase.
I have off both of those days (August 3rd and 4th) but will be out of town Thursday. They ship out Mon-Thurs, meaning ordering on Thurs would have him arrive on Friday, so I'd be home to accept him in.

That gives me time to grieve, clean the enclosure, move things around, and get it all set up in the other room, as well as sufficient time for a response from FL chams.

I didn't read all the current messages, but can 100% say, your animals were not seemingly "healthy" they had illness from the get go and presented with it strongly. Once a cham gets sick it can be hard to get them back. And I would never ever recommend it for a beginner, because it's around 75% chance of failure with an RI especially with eye issues added on. As far as breeders, in the beginning of the year I am getting a veiled from someone on the forum I trust extremely because she is having a hatching for a specific reason but didn't want to really sell the babies, she has a rehoming fee, and the shipment fee. Contact @jannb and if she doesn't read this thread tell her to contact me so I can give her the gist of what has happened. Though it won't be a for a while, I definitely recommend waiting for her babies, they will be beautiful, healthy, and friendly. <3

Thank you very much, Andee.
It's great there are members here with proven healthy babies, along with activity to know the upkeep of their breeders, etc.
I'll try reaching out to her and see what she says. Thank you for the contact.

From my perspective, having not had a healthy chammy to compare, though, it seems like I am the one causing more harm to them, but if you are 100% confident that they were sickly by the time I got them, I have no reason to doubt you. I appreciate your input as that does help with some of the guilt.

I didn't read all the current messages, but can 100% say, your animals were not seemingly "healthy" they had illness from the get go and presented with it strongly. Once a cham gets sick it can be hard to get them back. And I would never ever recommend it for a beginner, because it's around 75% chance of failure with an RI especially with eye issues added on. As far as breeders, in the beginning of the year I am getting a veiled from someone on the forum I trust extremely because she is having a hatching for a specific reason but didn't want to really sell the babies, she has a rehoming fee, and the shipment fee. Contact @jannb and if she doesn't read this thread tell her to contact me so I can give her the gist of what has happened. Though it won't be a for a while, I definitely recommend waiting for her babies, they will be beautiful, healthy, and friendly. <3
I was going to add @jannb we as well hope to be getting a little boy . He babies won't be ready till early spring I believe . Do in Jan but she won't let them go before 3 month I believe .

@Andee is absolutely correct they began with issues right off . They both were very dehydrated . Like I said you had some of the best keepers on this thread and if it was a husbraundry issue it would have been pointed out right away .

Thank you very much, Andee.
It's great there are members here with proven healthy babies, along with activity to know the upkeep of their breeders, etc.
I'll try reaching out to her and see what she says. Thank you for the contact.

From my perspective, having not had a healthy chammy to compare, though, it seems like I am the one causing more harm to them, but if you are 100% confident that they were sickly by the time I got them, I have no reason to doubt you. I appreciate your input as that does help with some of the guilt.
They were health issues from the begging.

Waiting until next year spring is a very long time, but honestly if I can manage a healthy chameleon, I wouldn't mind setting up a secondary enclosure for another. These are high hopes, considering I haven't had one make it past a month yet...

Waiting until next year spring is a very long time, but honestly if I can manage a healthy chameleon, I wouldn't mind setting up a secondary enclosure for another. These are high hopes, considering I haven't had one make it past a month yet...
That was one of my thoughts if you would want to wait . Also every one will want Jann babies .

I went ahead and purchased a mistking starter kit. I have no idea how to set one up but I'll no doubt figure it out once it arrives
You won't have any issue . Check to see if it comes with a reserve . We have the clumsy and it did not . If not you need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid . We got ours at home depo . You will be so happy you got it . Makes a huge difference. You can still hand mist too .

Glad to hear I made a good choice!
I was tossing up between a few options, but honestly I've heard nothing but good things about mistking, and little to nothing about the others (monsoon and... Aqua something were the others)

It does not come with a reserve, so I will look into getting a 5gal bucket. I saw some at Menards, a WI area home improvement store, for about $3 each. Thought about getting one for a lay bucket for Mamool a week ago

Back
Top Bottom