Pregnant Chameleon???

So this lady gave me her female chameleon because she said she was pretty sure it was pregnant and she couldn't afford financially to take care of the mom and all the babies I was just wondering if you think that she is really pregnant? I've already made her laying bin and I got a medium cage chameleon kit setup from Petco plus other thing plants vines etc I plan on building a bigger enclosure for her as well as getting her more stuff to climb on as soon as I get paid Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_142703.jpg
    IMG_20191010_142703.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 15708042255155098468187754279447.jpg
    15708042255155098468187754279447.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 247
She does look plump.

You'll need to get additional lighting -- the chameleon kit does not come with a linear UVB (if i remember correctly).

As long as your husbandry is on point she should have no issues laying -- if you could fill out this form it will help us identify the ares of your husbandry that could use improvement. Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Your chameleon: veiled lady didn't tell me age I've only had her a week.

Handling: haven't held her only to put her in enclosure she hisses when I try

Feeding: large crickets five a day dusted with calcium started my own cricket bin and I'm gut loading with apples oranges kale romaine also give her superworms as a snack

Supplements: currently have repti calcium and reptivite but plan on buying Repashy calcium plus when I get paid

Watering: have a dripper above hanging plants and a real plant at the bottom of cage to catch water the plants is a pothos yes I see her drink

Fecal description brown sometimes I see yellowish white stuff as well

History: I know she was housed with another female and a male and she has been pregnant by said make before and laid 40 eggs only 20 hatched

Cage: bought her the chameleon kit sold at Petco but plan on building a bigger cage

Lightning: the light that came with kit

Temp: have a digital thermometer with probe 85 under heat lamp 72 in the middle of cage

Humidity: usually 50 sometimes 60 during the day at night usually 60 to 70 using a a humidity disc that Velcros to back of cage

Plants: 2 fake ivy on top sides of cage 2 pothos on bottom of cage sitting in laying bin mixed half plantation soil from Petco half play sand in laying bin laying bin is the same size as bottom of cage

Placement: in my bedroom where it's quiet not near any fans or vents sitting about 3 feet high in a table in my room

Current problem: idk if she's pregnant or not

Your chameleon: veiled lady didn't tell me age I've only had her a week.

Handling: haven't held her only to put her in enclosure she hisses when I try

Feeding: large crickets five a day dusted with calcium started my own cricket bin and I'm gut loading with apples oranges kale romaine also give her superworms as a snack

Supplements: currently have repti calcium and reptivite but plan on buying Repashy calcium plus when I get paid I'd suggest Calcium Plus LoD if you have her under a 5.0 light

Watering: have a dripper above hanging plants and a real plant at the bottom of cage to catch water the plants is a pothos yes I see her drink What about misting? Do you mist her enclosure at all?

Fecal description brown sometimes I see yellowish white stuff as well white / yellow stuff is Urate. It may be more yellow if she is dehydrated or goes a while between poops.

History: I know she was housed with another female and a male and she has been pregnant by said make before and laid 40 eggs only 20 hatched Can I ask what you plan do do with the eggs? Have you looked into how to incubate them, and care for babies? They're pretty tiny!

Cage: bought her the chameleon kit sold at Petco but plan on building a bigger cage Dope! You'll want 2x2x4 at the minimum -- if you're going to build custom there are TONS of thread on these forums about building.

Lightning: the light that came with kit This is probably the first thing that will need to be upgraded asap. You'll want a linear uvb light, 5.0 or 6%. Arcadia is the one around here people seem to like best. I actually run a second linear uvb with a 65k plan bulb.

Temp: have a digital thermometer with probe 85 under heat lamp 72 in the middle of cage 85 is ok but no higher than that for her basking spot.

Humidity: usually 50 sometimes 60 during the day at night usually 60 to 70 using a humidity disc that Velcros to back of cage Word. Even a little lower humidity during the day is fine. Bump it as high as you can at night. I'd also suggest a digital hydrometer as the disc ones can be meh.

Plants: 2 fake ivy on top sides of cage 2 pothos on bottom of cage sitting in laying bin mixed half plantation soil from Petco half play sand in laying bin laying bin is the same size as bottom of cage Can I see a pic of the lay bin. Make sure it's a permanent part of her enclosure.

Placement: in my bedroom where it's quiet not near any fans or vents sitting about 3 feet high in a table in my room

Current problem: idk if she's pregnant or not

I'll need more experienced keepers to comment on her size and how soon she will lay -- but I will say if she is close you should not move her into a new enclosure before she lays. They can be sensitive to change and she may not lay if she's not comfortable. If she was kept with a male it is very likely she has fertile eggs.

@jannb @Brodybreaux25 @kinyonga any advice on the size of this lady.

I definitely will be changing her light where do I buy the Arcadia at? Yes I'm sorry I do mist her cage morning noon and night right before lights out yes I've been reading on here about what to do with her eggs. I will also be buying a digital hydrometer as well. I will build the enclosure and wait to move her until after she lays for sure. I will also attach pictures of lay box Thank you for your help just trying to make sure I'm doing everything right so she has the best life. Also attaching enclosure I'm building starting it Saturday

Attachments

• 15708072806826713744332879830309.jpg
    15708072806826713744332879830309.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 141
  • _fall_back_1570578040274__fall_back_1570489344818_Screenshot_20191006-180029.jpg
    _fall_back_1570578040274__fall_back_1570489344818_Screenshot_20191006-180029.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 163
I definitely will be changing her light where do I buy the Arcadia at? Yes I'm sorry I do mist her cage morning noon and night right before lights out yes I've been reading on here about what to do with her eggs. I will also be buying a digital hydrometer as well. I will build the enclosure and wait to move her until after she lays for sure. I will also attach pictures of lay box Thank you for your help just trying to make sure I'm doing everything right so she has the best life.

You're off to a great start friend.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/arcadia/?sort=featured&page=3

I would buy the fixture and light that will fit the eventual cage size you'll be building. For now -- it is fine if the lights hang off the edge for a bit.

I'd be sure the lay bin stays moist -- and do a little test hole with your fingers to be sure it can hold a small tunnel. You can also put a rock a few inches down -- or a small plan in the lay bin, as sometimes females like to lay up against something hard like a rootball. If you do a plant make sure the bin can drain and that there is plenty of digging room.

edit -- you will want a t5ho light -- the link I posted is for t8. let me see if I can find a t5.

I've done test holes in the lay bin and the plants that I have in there to catch the water I drain the water out of the plant 4 to 5 times a day to be sure it's not to wet so you guys do think she is pregnant? Because the lady that gave her to me said she wasn't sure but didn't want to take any chances how someone could do that I have no idea but their loss I suppose

I've done test holes in the lay bin and the plants that I have in there to catch the water I drain the water out of the plant 4 to 5 times a day to be sure it's not to wet so you guys do think she is pregnant? Because the lady that gave her to me said she wasn't sure but didn't want to take any chances how someone could do that I have no idea but their loss I suppose

She preggo yo.

Thank you for all your guys help I will be buying her a light tonight or in the morning also when I upgrade the light will Repashy calcium plus be ok to use or do I still need the calcium plus lod?

Thank you for all your guys help I will be buying her a light tonight or in the morning also when I upgrade the light will Repashy calcium plus be ok to use or do I still need the calcium plus lod?

I use Calcium plus LoD. I was using Calcium Plus for a while and she developed a small edema in her neck and was missing feeders here and there. Since switching we have no had those issues. Many keepers here use LoD.

If the woman you got her from was keeping three chams together in one enclosure, she obviously knows little to nothing about chams. Makes me believe her husbandry practices were likely incorrect. I strongly suggest looking for a good cham vet from now, including one that is available after hours for emergencies...just in case.

Yeah I've never had a Chameleon and even I know that you don't keep reptiles together in the same space I have a ball python and the lady just assumed I would take her which I did because I had a feeling she wasn't being taken care of properly I will make Cami an appointment with the same vet I use for my snake and get the new light digital hydrometer calcium plus lod and build my bigger enclosure Saturday and I will not mover her to the new setup until after she lays.

Back
Top Bottom