Pregnant Chameleon???

You guys obviously know what your doing so of course I will listen. I love reptiles and couldn't say no to taking her I knew that if she went with me she would be taken care of better than she was. I have a ball python which I adore. I may need additional help after Cami lays her eggs but I pretty much get the gist of it .

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_211218.jpg
    IMG_20191010_211218.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 138
You have enough opinions on her being gravid so I'll just add a few comments and ask some questions...and welcome you to the forum and the world of chameleons!

How deep is the lay bin substrate? It should be at least 6-8 inches.

Here's the way the egglaying should go...
She will of course get fatter in the lower half (or more) of her body, she may drink more, bask more, roam the cage to find a place to dig. Near the day of laying she may slow down on the eating. She may dig one hole or dig several and chose one in the end to dig until she's happy with it. It could take a day or several days with her returning to the branches I between to finish the digging...but she should finally sit, butt down in the hole...likely in the evening and lay her eggs. It may take an hour or two or she may even sit in the hole overnight. When she's done she should fill the hole in and ramp it down and return to the branches hungry, thirsty and thin. At that point you can remove the lay bin and dig up the eggs.

If she doesn't follow what I've said about and instead digs the hole and fills it in without laying the eggs and doesn't dig more (called phantom laying) or sits low in the cage or sleeps during the day or seems lethargic then she needs to see a vet right away....because it indicates egg binding. (Possible if the previous owner didn't look after her right.)

Re the eggs...I'll discuss this later...remind me when she starts digging..ok?

Her lay bin is definitely 6 inches deep or more she's ate 5 dusted crickets 2 super worms and some kale today she's also drank a few times she's been roaming her cage the past couple of days where as the first few days I had her she mostly stayed on her branch basking she hasn't gone down to the lay box yet but I will definitely let you know when she does the lady that had her before me said that if she was pregnant she was probably 2 weeks and I've had her for a week so

Also I was going to buy hatch rite but the only way is to order it online and from what I've read im not so sure it would get here in time so should I get vermiculite or perilite or both and do half and half for the eggs?

For many many years now I have used the coarse grained vermiculite. You will need one or two or maybe even three shoebox sized Tupperware type containers and a place to incubate the eggs...incubation type set up.

If you decide on perlite you will need to talk to someone else about how to set that up because I've never used it.

I don't push the eggs down like he did and I dig them up more carefully too trying not to turn them. Implace them about an inch apart in all directions because this makes them hatch mor individually and IMHO gives each baby a better chance. Just my way of doing it...but I have always had almost every egg hatch and almost every baby survive doing it my way. I don't know what his rates would be.

So I was told to get small containers like you said put the eggs in them either get the containers with the vent hole like the video or poke a few holes in the container then get a Rubbermaid container put a little water in the bottom of it and get a lid that doesn't latch so one that is to big for the Rubbermaid container for humidity purposes write the weight down and the date they were laid and put them in my closet but check the weight every weeks or so I'm just trying to do this right so please tell me if this is wrong

I put the eggs in the shoebox sized containers. Some I punched a couple of very tiny holes in and some I didn't. It never seemed to matter...but my incubator was unconventional too. If was a frame made out of 1x2's that I added screen to. I sat the frame over a human heating pad...the kind with 3 settings that wouldn't shut off after a set time. I set the heat pad to the setting that put the temperature in the containers in the right range for hatching eggs. If hire right I could shim up the frame until it was. I kept the whole setup in a dark place. The eggs should be kept in the dark. Beads of water form on the insides of the containers...that's ok. I would check the eggs every so often to see that they were ok.

The vermiculite substrate was made just moist enough that if you took a fist full of it you couldn't squeeze out any more than a drop or two of water. I made it about an inch and a half deep in the approx. 3" deep container so the chameleons have room to move around once they hatch until you can "rescue" them.

If the eggs are infertile count them before throwing them away. You want to know how many eggs she laid total so that you know if you are feeding her right.

She made it halfway down then turned around and went back up to the top so I'm guessing she isn't going to lay today I will let you know when she starts digging

I incubated them at about 74F. I say about because since my setup was open to the room the temperature would drop a bit at night and if the day was hot could go up a little too.

Also what do you suggest housing the baby's in? What should I use for them to climb on since they are so tiny? How many to an enclosure when they are babies? Sorry about asking so many questions just want to be prepared and make sure I have everything they need

What is used for watering system in baby enclosure right now for Cami I use the little dripper system but I don't see how that would work in the above setup

So she keeps going to the middle of her cage and I will be thinking like she's for sure going to her lay bin then she turns around goes back up to the top and turns a crazy color

Back
Top Bottom