Pregnancy scare -or- My horny lil girl *W/ HD PICTURES!*

Enochlg

So a few days ago I posted here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/6-mo-panther-fake-mama-egg-laying-problems-103277/
In reference to Nexxus, my 6 1/2mo old female blue bar ambilobe being gravid (with infertile eggs) and not wanting to lay. The advice i was given is that while she does look to be gravid, to just give her time & let things happen in her own cage naturally.

Well now a week has past; still no eggs.
She doesn't hardly look preggers anymore either -
and her coloration is not as tell-tale as it was prior.
I started thinking maybe she just had a little growth spurt if you will, and obtained her adult coloration. She was after all showing more darker, richer pinks all over versus a mostly brown, sometimes peach/white coloration she had up until her faux gravid scheme.

Then it occurred to me that I have one really easy way to find out!
My 4mo old MALE blue bar, Enoch! :cool:
Surely if she is gravid, she will not show ANY signs of being receptive to mating!

So after having Nexxus out for a while getting some fresh air, and rubbing her big ol' belly
(which she absolutely loves, you'd think she was part house cat)
- I decide its a safe time to put this to the test.
I take her up to my giant baby boy at 4 1/2mo - Enoch, and lets just say that love was in the air this Valentine Day's night :D

Enoch starts showing off how GORGEOUS he is & can be, head bobbing like he was jamming to heavy metal. My boy Knucky may be young, but he is without a doubt a major pretty boy.

...and apparently, quite the ladies man!

Nexxus instantly went into full-on receptive coloration.
She was trying to get into his cage onto his branch... lets just say she wanted it bad. lol
After it was apparent to me that she was very much a willing partner, I immediately separated the two.
She went back into her cage, feet on a branch with her front paws on the wall facing my boy.
After posing for a few quick photos, Enoch followed suit & started climbing the wall facing her cage (his cage is covered with a completely opaque black divider).

Although wound up, it was time for bed.
Enoch fell asleep initially hugging the wall facing her lmao.
I felt bad for the guy, so I turned a nearby light on and after a couple minutes he eventually woke back up & moved to the center of his cage.
Now Nexxus will ALWAYS sleep in the back... in the corner... down below... behind a branch... you get the idea - never out in the open.

Tonight, she slept in the exact same spot as Enoch did, each in their individual cages. It was the most adorable sight!

Happy Valentines Day for my future Mr & Mrs Furcifer Pardalis, and to all the others out there as well! :p

p.s. If anyone knows something I don't in that females will still mate when gravid, please chime in. It wouldn't surprise me as we all know that chameleons primary occupation is driving their keepers absolutely mad. :eek:

Attachments

• 2013-02-14 19.03.50.jpg
    2013-02-14 19.03.50.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 2013-01-26 15.56.15.jpg
    2013-01-26 15.56.15.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 2013-02-14 19.09.11.jpg
    2013-02-14 19.09.11.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 2013-02-14 19.16.06.jpg
    2013-02-14 19.16.06.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 2013-02-14 19.15.45.jpg
    2013-02-14 19.15.45.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 249
Yes, they can mate when they are gravid. If I'm not mistaken only in early stage of egg development.

Back
Top Bottom