Possible supplementing mistake...

CaptainMorgantown

So for anyone that doesn't know, I adopted a chameleon with severe MBD last week, and I have quickly been trying to learn how to take care of them.

Well... I knew not to give them too much calcium with D3, but I had no idea it was only supposed to be twice a month. I have done it every day for about three days now. That might not be that bad, but I think that I also over did it with the vitamins as well. Can someone give me an outline of how often to dust the food and with what? Actually, it would be incredibly helpful if someone could give me a daily schedule of good things to feed a chameleon with MBD. I have access to mealworms, superworms, butterworms, crickets, and waxworms, as well as all fruits and veggies.

Also, would over doing it on the D3 or vitamins make her skin dry, or is that the MBD and malnutrition that she had?

I can help with gutloading. I gut load my cricket's with a bird mash feed stuff thats really high in protein. its called harrisons bird mash. high potency mash.
and for water a use flukers cricke quencher. it says its there food to but yeah. it smells really bad. and collard green's, and butternut squash are good gutloaders to..

Im sorry your cham has MBD.
For supplementing- calcium without d3 every feeding
calcium with d3 twice a month
multivitamin twice a month.
you probably havent done any damage since it has only been a few days.
as for the dry skin, i dont think the supplements would do this, more than likely the cham is dehydrated and malnourished.
I give a daily meal of crickets, every other day they will get a hornworm (once my hornworm babies are big enough to feed off) and my guys get a silkworm moth once a day.
hope this helps!

So for anyone that doesn't know, I adopted a chameleon with severe MBD last week, and I have quickly been trying to learn how to take care of them.

Well... I knew not to give them too much calcium with D3, but I had no idea it was only supposed to be twice a month. I have done it every day for about three days now. That might not be that bad, but I think that I also over did it with the vitamins as well. Can someone give me an outline of how often to dust the food and with what? Actually, it would be incredibly helpful if someone could give me a daily schedule of good things to feed a chameleon with MBD. I have access to mealworms, superworms, butterworms, crickets, and waxworms, as well as all fruits and veggies.

Also, would over doing it on the D3 or vitamins make her skin dry, or is that the MBD and malnutrition that she had?

3 Days in a row of D3 is not going to cause major problems. Neither will a few days off vitamins. Problems occur when over supplementation goes on over a considerable stretch of time.

I suspect she is getting ready to shed. It's a pretty normal thing to happen when they are moved to a new cage (even a much better cage) or their diet is changed (even for the better).

You asked..."Can someone give me an outline of how often to dust the food and with what?"...in this thread in post #10 I told you how often and what to dust with....this is to maintain her health once you have corrected the MBD. You can also give her liquid calcium sandoz or calcium gluconate if you are not getting the calcium injections done by the vet. Liquid calcium is more easily absorbed....and she will need extra until her bones become strong again....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/mbd-chameleon-first-time-owner-71576/

The greens and veggies listed in that post can be fed to her along with a small amount of fruit (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.).

3 days of D3 and vitamins should not have been a problem....as long as the vitamin doesn't contain a lot of prEformed vitamin A.

Last edited:
You asked..."Can someone give me an outline of how often to dust the food and with what?"...in this thread in post #10 I told you how often and what to dust with....this is to maintain her health once you have corrected the MBD. You can also give her liquid calcium sandoz or calcium gluconate if you are not getting the calcium injections done by the vet. Liquid calcium is more easily absorbed....and she will need extra until her bones become strong again....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/possible-supplementing-mistake-71718/mbd-c...e-owner-71576/

I'm sorry, i should have went back and read through the posts in the other thread. I was looking through the website, and when I read that I kind of panicked a bit and immediately started a new post. I just feel like I can't make any mistakes at all with her. Thanks for responding again :)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/possible-supplementing-mistake-71718/mbd-c...e-owner-71576/

I'm sorry, i should have went back and read through the posts in the other thread. I was looking through the website, and when I read that I kind of panicked a bit and immediately started a new post. I just feel like I can't make any mistakes at all with her. Thanks for responding again :)

Back
Top Bottom