Possible sperm plug?

cswan19

My veiled chameleon Malibu has something yellowish and crusty hanging out of his vent area. He is asleep now and I tried to grab it out using tweezers but it was hard and pretty stuck and I woke him up. I am leaving him alone now. But I think it is either stuck poop (if that is even possible..), a stuck sperm plug or prolapse. Can anyone give me advice on what it might be or what to do? I plan to put him in a shallow bowl with warm water tomor, but until then could use some advice on what it might be.

Here is a picture:

14486676446_06aa89a10c_z.jpg

Thanks guys

I'm not sure what that is. It's shaped like a sperm plug but I've never seen a green one. They are usually white/yellow color. It does not look like any prolapse I've seen nor does it look like poop. I'd say soak it. It shouldn't hurt regardless of what it is.

I'm not sure what that is. It's shaped like a sperm plug but I've never seen a green one. They are usually white/yellow color. It does not look like any prolapse I've seen nor does it look like poop. I'd say soak it. It shouldn't hurt regardless of what it is.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It looks pretty green in the picture but it is more yellow in person. I will soak it tomor. Do you recommend trying to pull it out a bit after soaking it if it doesn't come out on its own?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It looks pretty green in the picture but it is more yellow in person. I will soak it tomor. Do you recommend trying to pull it out a bit after soaking it if it doesn't come out on its own?

Here's some info on sperm plugs. If you do a search using the tab at the top you can see other threads with pictures and info about sperm plugs.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/tail-vent/

I was able to easily get the sperm plug out this morning. I coaxed him out of his enclosure with some crickets and put him in a bowl full of warm water and let him hang out in it for about 5 minutes. By then it was soft and wet enough that I could gently pull it out with some tweezers. He is happily back in his cage now. Thanks for your help. I am about to do some more research on these sperm plugs so I can learn how often they drop these things and stuff.

I was able to easily get the sperm plug out this morning. I coaxed him out of his enclosure with some crickets and put him in a bowl full of warm water and let him hang out in it for about 5 minutes. By then it was soft and wet enough that I could gently pull it out with some tweezers. He is happily back in his cage now. Thanks for your help. I am about to do some more research on these sperm plugs so I can learn how often they drop these things and stuff.

That's good news! My guys have them quite often. I'm always cleaning them off the branches. :eek:

Wow really?! Geez, I guess I have some reading and learning to do haha I don't know anything about them yet

Back
Top Bottom