Please help Red thing coming out!

Reptileboy, it may be a good idea to fill this out.
That way if there is anything that needs to be changed, we can help you address it.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I know this sounds weird, but I would get some plain gauze put lots and lots of ky on it and wrap your Cham. Just wind it between his legs the up over hie back and around between his legs over his back, and keep going until all the gauze has all been used. Put a lot of ky jelly as you both need to keep him moist but you need the gauze to stick together. Then put him in a small box so he doesn't move a lot and it is dark so he will sleep til morning. Now this is just what I would try. I have never even hear of it. As a mom, I have always make things work, and this might work. But only if you put Lots of ky on the first layer. Let we know how he is in the morning. Good luck.

I know this sounds weird, but I would get some plain gauze put lots and lots of ky on it and wrap your Cham. Just wind it between his legs the up over hie back and around between his legs over his back, and keep going until all the gauze has all been used. Put a lot of ky jelly as you both need to keep him moist but you need the gauze to stick together. Then put him in a small box so he doesn't move a lot and it is dark so he will sleep til morning. Now this is just what I would try. I have never even hear of it. As a mom, I have always make things work, and this might work. But only if you put Lots of ky on the first layer. Let we know how he is in the morning. Good luck.

That actually sounds like a great idea. As long as theres plentlly applied at first, and its wrapped somewhat loosely, I think it would work great.

With very gentle care this prolapse can be worked back in. The benefit is to protect the tissue. But it's really scary trying to explain that through a post. :( So much is misunderstood and could make things worse. So maybe the best bet is keeping lubricant on the prolapse and then taking him right to the vet in the morning. You can call me if you want me to try and explain how to work it back in. Sure beats risking tissue damage.

With very gentle care this prolapse can be worked back in. The benefit is to protect the tissue. But it's really scary trying to explain that through a post. :( So much is misunderstood and could make things worse. So maybe the best bet is keeping lubricant on the prolapse and then taking him right to the vet in the morning. You can call me if you want me to try and explain how to work it back in. Sure beats risking tissue damage.

Im interested in this "technique.

Reptileboy, first, hi! I'm so sorry you have having this problem.

I wonder if you might not benefit from a new vet. I know you probably have to go with the "known" at this point, but a vet that recommended a waterfall is probably not a vet completely up to date on chameleon care.

I don't know where you are. There is a "vets by area" thread in this forum. You might want to check it out and see if there is someone close to you that is more experienced.

Sorry for your loss but that didn't seem like a injury he needed to be put down from. :(

Last edited:
Well the doc said he really couldent do anything .He said he could do surgery but he would not bee able too poop and their waz a 50% chance it would come back out.So i said just let him go I tried and he was in pain and had a hard life

R.I.P Frankie

I'm so sorry.

I do hope you will consider getting another chameleon in the future. I also think you need to find a vet with better knowledge of chameleons.

Well the doc said he really couldent do anything .He said he could do surgery but he would not bee able too poop and their waz a 50% chance it would come back out.So i said just let him go I tried and he was in pain and had a hard life

R.I.P Frankie

I am very sorry for your loss. but this was not something that should have happened.
Several chameleons get prolapses over there life span, Most of the time, the vet can get it back inside where it belongs, if it tends to pop out, then they can and often do put a small stitch in teh vent to keep it in.
Most chameleons dont need surgery to fix a prolapse unless it continues to happen.
I think you need to find a better vet, and I hope this does not deter you from chameleons. they are wonderful pets and very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom