plant substrate combo advice

ChamSky

So I finally got some awesome plants for my cham setup (reptibreeze 24x24x48) with a mistking. So far I have everything under the sun for him when I get him. Of course cage will be setup fully.
I bought a mini pothos to go in my magnetic rock ledge plant holder. Also got a 3 1/2 ft tall ficus and a nice dence dracnea. Also got a ton of fake hanging plants for background to catch water and for hiding.
Now my QUESTION is.... For the ficus and dracnea, what is the ratio of soil and sand? Read through the whole plant thread. Want these plants to thrive and live. What soil ( I am putting large river stones on top of the plants) should I use and how much play sand. Or is there something that will work better for drainage? Also plan to wash all the leaves too

What is your best advice in potting these plants?
Here are some pics of them.

Pothos

Ficus and dracnea in tub for washing

Long hanging fake plants will wash prior to using.

Here's my collection so far haha
Mistking, dragonstrand ledges, more vines, several magnetic ledges including a feeding one, bucket is full of other goodies. Custom stand is being built.
This is one expensive critter lol

Is it time to repot them? Sometimes it does more harm than good to prematurely repot a plant. Do you think it may be worth it to see how they react under your lights for a month or two before totally shocking them?

I don't have your answer specifically. I just posed a different question. I'd just make sure that what ever soil concoction you use drains well.

Is it time to repot them? Sometimes it does more harm than good to prematurely repot a plant. Do you think it may be worth it to see how they react under your lights for a month or two before totally shocking them?

I don't have your answer specifically. I just posed a different question. I'd just make sure that what ever soil concoction you use drains well.

I don't thnk it's time to repot them, what you're saying does make a lot of sense. I can monitor the growth rate and maybe replant them later. I think I'd be worth to see how they do in there. I just don't want the ficus getting root rot.

I don't thnk it's time to repot them, what you're saying does make a lot of sense. I can monitor the growth rate and maybe replant them later. I think I'd be worth to see how they do in there. I just don't want the ficus getting root rot.

You can enlarge the Ficus pot's drain holes and not use a pot saucer until you know that the plant is draining OK. If the plant is close to needing repotting anyway (are there rootlets growing out of the drain holes and do you see roots curling around the sides of the pot near the surface?) you could try gently tapping it loose and lifting it out of the current pot, not disturb the soil/root/ball and put some pebbles or perlite in the bottom of the pot before re-settling the plant in the pot again. It won't shock it too much. Just be aware that Ficus often drop leaves in a reaction to being moved. It should replace its leaves again once settled in the new situation.

You can enlarge the Ficus pot's drain holes and not use a pot saucer until you know that the plant is draining OK. If the plant is close to needing repotting anyway (are there rootlets growing out of the drain holes and do you see roots curling around the sides of the pot near the surface?) you could try gently tapping it loose and lifting it out of the current pot, not disturb the soil/root/ball and put some pebbles or perlite in the bottom of the pot before re-settling the plant in the pot again. It won't shock it too much. Just be aware that Ficus often drop leaves in a reaction to being moved. It should replace its leaves again once settled in the new situation.
Thanks for the advice on the ficus! I do not see any roots showing from the holes or top. I did buy another better quality plastic pot (same bottom width and height just a tiny bit wider) was going to put some small aquarium gravel in the bottom and quickly make the switch. I'll be sure to watch for falling leaves and not get too worried :)
The pothos I can tell is already rooting out! I am thinking of drilling out the magnetic ledge hanger (made to fit a 4" pot) so it will have some more room and drilling holes from the bottom for drainage.

Back
Top Bottom