Plant Question

ShaunaLynnA

I looked through the lists of toxins and okay to use plants but didn't see this one. I am blind though without my glasses so I could have missed it but...Is bamboo okay to put in to the enclosures with the veileds and panthers? Help would be appreciated and sorry if this has been answered already but like I said I am blind without glasses for reading.

Bamboo is not ok to use with chameleons from what I have heard I would go a nursery or lowes and by a umbrella tree, pothos, or ficus. You can use bamboo for branches though if it is not living bamboo, it has to be the dead dried out bamboo.

Real bamboo is completely fine, however lucky bamboo is not. Lucky bamboo is actually a type of lily or something.

"bamboo"?

I looked through the lists of toxins and okay to use plants but didn't see this one. I am blind though without my glasses so I could have missed it but...Is bamboo okay to put in to the enclosures with the veileds and panthers? Help would be appreciated and sorry if this has been answered already but like I said I am blind without glasses for reading.

True bamboos are generally not going to grow well in the indoor environment. Most are inedible, but not dangerously poisonous. They have very fiberous leaves which could present a danger of impaction if eaten. So, I would not use anything but dried bamboo stems, as Boj3434 said.

So-called "lucky bamboos" which often have twisting stems and a spiral arrangement of leaves are really a Dracaena, D. sanderiana. Seems that Dracaenas are reasonable safe, but again. the leaves are fiberous, so this may not be a wise choice for a cage with a grazer, like a veiled cham. Also, the leaves tend to get shredded by constant chameleon foot-traffic.

Dwarf Scheffleras, safe Ficus, and if you have great light, Hibiscus, are all better choices.

Ahh, there we go! I'm glad you could fill in the gaps. :) I'd give rep points but I'm on my phone and iPhones are stupid :(

Thank you I was leaning towards the ficus or dwarf sheffleras for my cages but thought I would ask about bamboo since someone had some local they were offering. I need to make it out to lowes or some place today or tomorrow and pick my plants up. Thanks again everyone for great advice :)

Lowes has a great selection of some safe cham plants...(depending on were ya go) they have dracena,corn plants,crotton,pothos,shafflera arbicol,and ficuses galor, thye also have bromilliads. I saw all these in my local store....I wanted to buy em all but my cage can't fits em allz! They also sella fertalizer free organikc potting soil.(atleast mine did)

Back
Top Bottom