Plants in the laybin?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
I’m thinking about putting a couple pretty plants in the laybin. I saw polka dot plants are safe on the academy list, doesn’t say veiled tested though. And I was thinking maybe begonias instead? I just want a couple small ones. Would they thrive in the sand/soil mix?
Thoughts?

I’ve also read coleus and the pink princess are veiled tested. I just want a pop of color down there and I read they appreciate having a plant in there. I have my wandering Jew up top.

Personally, I don’t use plants in my laying bins. Normally, I just use sand in the laying bin. However, if I have a long vine from a Pothos, I’ll let it down into the laying bin and I do keep a branch in the bin for them to crawl in and out. I also keep the bin in the back behind their tree.

Personally, I don’t use plants in my laying bins. Normally, I just use sand in the laying bin. However, if I have a long vine from a Pothos, I’ll let it down into the laying bin and I do keep a branch in the bin for them to crawl in and out. I also keep the bin in the back behind their tree.
Yeah I have sticks going in and the I have a pothos with a nice vine in front trailing around. I have another pothos I could move to the side and use the spot on the stand for another colorful plant. I just think it’s very green in there😂

I’m thinking about putting a couple pretty plants in the laybin. I saw polka dot plants are safe on the academy list, doesn’t say veiled tested though. And I was thinking maybe begonias instead? I just want a couple small ones. Would they thrive in the sand/soil mix?
Thoughts?
I have a poka dot in my veiled enclosure she took one small bite out of it and never tried it again. I think you are safe to use it

I have a poka dot in my veiled enclosure she took one small bite out of it and never tried it again. I think you are safe to use it
Oh good. I just ordered some 3” ones in 3 different colors. I was thinking of putting it along the back of the laybin

Also since I have y’all here. I fixed up my sheet and Velcro finally instead of taping the cardboard up, and I left it on all day. She didn’t once scratch at the top and try to break out, does this mean she feels safe enough to lay?

Also since I have y’all here. I fixed up my sheet and Velcro finally instead of taping the cardboard up, and I left it on all day. She didn’t once scratch at the top and try to break out, does this mean she feels safe enough to lay?
Possibly. They need to feel secure to lay, keep all that covering her enclosure so she continues to feel safe

It’s up to you. My enclosure is a hybrid so I just have the front that is open. I usually cover it with a sheet once I see her down in her lay bin.
Ugh, sorry my brain is not working this morning just yet. This is what I do for my girl, when I see her down by her bin I cover her up, I'll check at the end of the day and take it off if I don't see dirt on her and if the lay bin looks undisturbed. Once I see dirt on her I know the eggs have been laid and then I won't cover her anymore. Its a lot of covering and uncovering....

Ugh, sorry my brain is not working this morning just yet. This is what I do for my girl, when I see her down by her bin I cover her up, I'll check at the end of the day and take it off if I don't see dirt on her and if the lay bin looks undisturbed. Once I see dirt on her I know the eggs have been laid and then I won't cover her anymore. Its a lot of covering and uncovering....
I haven’t seen her IN her laybin at all yet. She’s been receptive since the 13th, it’s gotta be almost time right? I just noticed with it covered she didn’t do her scratch at the top thing like she has been. I have a hybrid dragon strand I covered the door and it hangs down over the bottom panel on the side of her laybin. I have fans going on the other side of that panel.

I have a funny story though. I was in there for whatever reason the other day and had the door kind of open, the cat was on the water tub on the hinge side and rubbing her face on the edge there. And my girl saw it and practically ran over to check her out. I thought she was going to come out so I shut the door😂

Ok that makes sense. She is going to be receptive for a while and then after that she will start to develop the eggs in her little belly. Once the eggs are developed she will lay them in about 30-45 days. You may still have a minute to go since you are just seeing her receptive colors. Just keep a close eye on her and keep us updated on how things are going.

Oh gosh, ya sounds like you have a curious girl! Just be careful, you don't know how your cat will react to your chameleon so its better to play it safe. I don't have a cat but I do have two dogs and I don't even allow them in the two rooms my chameleons are in.

Ok that makes sense. She is going to be receptive for a while and then after that she will start to develop the eggs in her little belly. Once the eggs are developed she will lay them in about 30-45 days. You may still have a minute to go since you are just seeing her receptive colors. Just keep a close eye on her and keep us updated on how things are going.

Oh gosh, ya sounds like you have a curious girl! Just be careful, you don't know how your cat will react to your chameleon so its better to play it safe. I don't have a cat but I do have two dogs and I don't even allow them in the two rooms my chameleons are in.
I never have the door completely wide open and when we get to the handling for cleaning stage no animals will be in the room. The animals don’t pay an attention to her while she’s in there otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom