Pet Stores...another disappointing story...

Clarke221

I live in the Austin, TX area, not too much to choose from here when it comes to pet stores anyway. There were two in Austin, one closed, and the more reputable one was left. More reputable until now...

I decided to go visit them since I had nothing to do today. Last time I was in, they had a small panther, probably about 2.5 months old, in good health from the looks of him. They had him listed as unknown locale, he was in a fairly small cage, but temp and humidity, as well as lighting were good. Today when I went in, I was so disgusted. They had 5 veileds in one cage together, it was about 12x24x30. One male was obviously in horrible health, his mouth looked like he was having some serious issues, maybe from calcium deprivation? A couple others had bad scars, from fights I suppose. Two other veilds in another cage, 12x24x12, were severely dehydrated, eyes sunken way in, and skinny. They had a giant 3 horned cham in the best setup, but his horns were bent and deformed, he looked ill and unhappy. Then, what really upset me, a panther, looked to be female from what I could tell, was no more than three inches in total length. I haven't bred them yet, so I can't be exact, but my guess would be a month old? The lady there couldn't even tell me how old she was, and again, unknown locale. Just a small UVB light, no basking spot, a couple branches and fake plant leaves, that was it. Cage was ok I suppose for that size, 6x12x12. It took everything I had to leave her there. The only reason I did is that my husband has told me to start gathering everything I need for my second chameleon, and he's hinting at getting me another cham for our anniversary. But...just thought I would add to the latest rants about pet stores. I'll never be setting foot in that place again. If I do, I'll be coming home with a sick cham and nursing it back to health :mad: and then I'll have some 'splainin to do to my hubby.

dont come back with a sick one or even a healthy one from them. That just supports them and it defeats the purpose of stopping pet stores from treating animals like merchandise/produce that just gets thrown out when it "goes bad." They also use the pitty card to make you want to take the animals home, so dont fall for it!

Sounds like they are due for a check by animal control for poor conditions and neglect. Can you find out who in your area inspects pet shops? I'd submit a report on their conditions along with a "neutral" caresheet for comparison.

Carlton, that's a good idea. I didn't think of that. They also had a couple dead frogs and some sickly snakes. They said the store has been getting hot at night, but that's not an excuse to me. I'll check into that.

Always hate to hear stories like this. To compond the problem most of the customers who buy these animals consider them as throw away toys so the poor creatures have almost no chance of survival. I remember a pet shop owner saying he estimated 90% of the animals he sold [tropical fish, small repts and mammals] would die in a month.

I had the same problem in a petstore in Sioux falls sd a week or so... They had a female veiled chameleon that was about 11 months or so (guessing) an they had it in a .5 gallon glass case with no hiding spots no basking area or humidity gauges. I'm sure that they don't even feed
it supplements but it looked super health and gorgeous colours which was odd to me... I played dumb with the salesperson at petsmart where it was located and she knew her Cham stuff quite well! But the worst part they had a small frog in a huge case compared to the veiled chameleon?! It was sad!

I had the same problem in a petstore in Sioux falls sd a week or so... They had a female veiled chameleon that was about 11 months or so (guessing) an they had it in a .5 gallon glass case with no hiding spots no basking area or humidity gauges. I'm sure that they don't even feed
it supplements but it looked super health and gorgeous colours which was odd to me... I played dumb with the salesperson at petsmart where it was located and she knew her Cham stuff quite well! But the worst part they had a small frog in a huge case compared to the veiled chameleon?! It was sad!

Those "gorgeous colors" are a sure sign of stress. If she was content her colors would be quieter.

Back
Top Bottom