Partial Shedding?

AZJ0SH

About 3 weeks ago my chameleon had a partial shed, his face/casque only. I replaced his UVB this week sine it was going on the 6 month mark, and now today the rest of his body is shedding, but not his face/casque.

Do I need to be worried about partial sheds, is it common? This is the first time it's happened since I got him in May, it's usually full sheds over a 24 hour period.

How old is he? Once they get to around the 6 month old mark, their growth rate slows right down and they shed less often. Babies will shed every month and do whole body sheds, whereas adults will shed maybe every 3 months and will shed one part at a time so that sometimes it seems like they always have one part or other in shed.

Edit - I've just seen his age in your sig.

Just like miss lily said.
chams hit an age where they slow down in their growing, and they start to shed one part at a time.

Good to know, I thought he would be doing full body sheds all the time, not sure why I thought that. :D

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know, I thought he would be doing full body sheds all the time, not sure why I thought that. :D

Thanks for the replies.

No need to worry.
And for the record, my guy is 10 months old.
He did ful body sheds until he was 5 months old.
at that age he began partial sheds, a leg here, his head and casque there.. etc.
Then when he was 9 months old, he did a full body shed again, although it started at differnt spots and took him about a full week to get rid of the skin (and his humidity was fine and he was showered daily to help).
So as long as the shed doesnt get stuck, and cut off circulation.. hell be fine..

Sometimes it takes a few days for him to get a piece of dead skin off his casque, would that cut off the circulation as stated in the post above? Or was that for full sheds?

Sometimes it takes a few days for him to get a piece of dead skin off his casque, would that cut off the circulation as stated in the post above? Or was that for full sheds?

it can, but is unlikely.
youll notice when its cutting circulation off.
some swelling, tender, color change, etc.

They'll also shed a specific region if that area needs to heal from something. So say he scrapes his leg on a branch, he'll shed that leg and that leg may not shed again if he does a full-body one a couple weeks later.

I had one panther that shed one eye turret repeatedly because his eye was itchy from an infection we were treating and he'd rub it against stuff. So he'd just have skin dangling from one eye lol He looked really peculiar.

Not saying yours was injured, just that it's ok. They seem to know what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom