Chameleon shed

Ok a couple of days ago I was looking my chameleon wondering why he isn't shedding but then noticed a little black on his tail and scratched his tail with a q tip to find the shed was stuck but the big problem is my humidity is staying at 50 for 2 weeks I phoned my vet who then told me to soak him in look warm water witch worked for feer legs and tail but not body

Never soak them in lukewarm water or any water. This is very stressful for them, plus what for us is lukewarm can be too warm for them. Chameleons are also dry shedders, meaning humidity or water lets old skin stick more to their skin, cohesive working. The lower humidity would now be beneficial for the shedding process, as long as they got drinking source.

Then what do I do
Get your hydration right. Aim for the proper levels of humidity during the day, and at night. Not sure what type of chameleon you have, but most need lower-mid humidity during the day, and then higher humidity at night.

If you get the hydration down the shedding will occur naturally just fine. Basically, you do nothing, except make sure your chameleons husbandry is set.

humidity at 50% during the day is almost surely fine unless you have some out there in left field type of chameleon. Now you just have to work on getting that humidity to say 80%+ at night, at least in the early morning hours before the lights turn on.

If you want, share your misting / fogging schedule and let us know where you live so we can help you correct this.

Get your hydration right. Aim for the proper levels of humidity during the day, and at night. Not sure what type of chameleon you have, but most need lower-mid humidity during the day, and then higher humidity at night.

If you get the hydration down the shedding will occur naturally just fine. Basically, you do nothing, except make sure your chameleons husbandry is set.

humidity at 50% during the day is almost surely fine unless you have some out there in left field type of chameleon. Now you just have to work on getting that humidity to say 80%+ at night, at least in the early morning hours before the lights turn on.

If you want, share your misting / fogging schedule and let us know where you live so we can help you correct this.
South africa and humidity qnd its a flap neck chameleon

South africa and humidity qnd its a flap neck chameleon
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this breed at all. So I don't want to give incorrect information as far as schedules/numbers for hydration. However, this is almost certainly a hydration issue. So you need to try to seek out someone who is familiar with this breed and see where those humidity levels should be, and when. Then you will have to customize your setup based on your geographic location, and even your specific home. For example, I have to set my heat/air unit so that the temps are right for my chameleon. Best of luck!

steve h might be able to recommend hydration for flapnecks. I think he has experience with them. I do not really know how to tag but if he sees this he will probably help you!

Back
Top Bottom