Parsons Info/Homework

birthnugget

Hello All!

Lately, I have been deeply intrigued with a couple different species of chameleons thanks to jpowell86, jajeanspierre, and jannb. Of those intriguing species, I have taken a particular liking to the Quadricornis/Gracilior, Meller's, and the Parson's. If I had to choose which one I would enjoy the most however, I think Parson's may very well be the most interesting to me. I have researched only but a few chameleon species, and already I find them taking up all of my free time in school and at home. Like jannb said in a thread once, "first they take your money, then all of your time, and finally your home.." I find this to be extremely accurate!

Among my many hours of research however, I cannot seem to find much info on Parson's. I found a page out of a book in a google doc, a page in a book that I own, and a thread right here on the forums. Not enough information, unfortunately! I was wondering about basic husbandry, costs, where to buy, diet; all of the lovely reptile things. I know so far they need rather extensive enclosures, a gourmet diet of all different sorts of critters, and that they hibernate. Other than that, they are merely a search on google images for me. If anyone has any info to offer, it would be greatly appreciated. This summer, I will be coming into a large sum of money that I am considering spending on a Parson's. Thank you so much!

There is a member on here named Action Jackson and he has successfully bred Parson's in captivity. I don't know if he has any available now, but he might be able to atleast give you some good advice on how to care for them. Also, Jannb another member on here has one that she raised from a baby. You could contact her as well.

There is a member on here named Action Jackson and he has successfully bred Parson's in captivity. I don't know if he has any available now, but he might be able to atleast give you some good advice on how to care for them. Also, Jannb another member on here has one that she raised from a baby. You could contact her as well.
Thank you, I sent him a message :)

All listed are amazing species.

I worked with the a group of Calumma parsonii at a past job, but I have never had the pleasure of keeping them in my personal collection. I was about 2 seconds away from buying a pair at the NARBC last weekend. I ended up buying this sad F. oustaleti that was in a cage that required him to be almost doubled up. People never cease to amaze.

I think I would definitely buy a few if I could find some captive bred.

The Melleri as a whole don't do great with the import process. Well, no animal does really, but Melleri do not handle stress well at all. This on top of a large parasitic load equal time and money. Out of my collection, 2 have been fairly easy to acclimate, the others took work.

I'll be interested to see what species you end up getting! Good luck!

I have worked with and kept Parson's since the late 80's. I don't respond to threads too much lately, but I will at least read a topic with Parson in it.

My only question is this, what chameleons have you owned and how long did they share your home?

Back
Top Bottom