Paraffin Wax Cage finish?

DanSB

Avid Member
Has anyone used Paraffin wax to finish their wood cham enclosures?

I can't imagine there would be any issue with a paraffin wax and a chameleon but figured I'd throw it out there just to see if anyone knows of some weird thing that makes no sense and is typical of chameleons :)

Has anyone used Paraffin wax to finish their wood cham enclosures?

I can't imagine there would be any issue with a paraffin wax and a chameleon but figured I'd throw it out there just to see if anyone knows of some weird thing that makes no sense and is typical of chameleons :)

Isn't paraffin a petroleum product? There could be residues that outgas when heated by your lights and possibly leach something if sprayed daily. Just some ideas to consider.

Isn't paraffin a petroleum product? There could be residues that outgas when heated by your lights and possibly leach something if sprayed daily. Just some ideas to consider.

Yeah I was doing a little more research and see that when paraffin burns it releases carcinogens. It is used in chocolate and quite a few foods and is gras but it might not be worth the risk just because of the proximity to a heat lamp and the off possibility of something being released.

The other issue I thought of is that loose crickets might eat the wax coating and while it is edible to people I just don't want it as a gut load! I think it is highly unlikely to actually cause a problem but why risk it when there are other options?

I am going to go with an all natural butcher-block Beeswax product. I think for enclosures I can let sit for a month I will go with tung oil in the future but the natural tung oil takes about a month to fully cure in my experience.

rockler.com. look for walnut oil or "salad bowl finish. Both food safe even for humans!

Those are good suggestions and that is great website, I'll have to go back there I can't believe I've never found it!

The Salad Bowl finish is still a petroleum product and I might as well had gone with a Paraffin wax which is a lot cheaper and completely non-toxic to eat as well. The Walnut oil one is actually beeswax, Carnauba wax and walnut oil which looks pretty good but it is pricey so I'll probably get some and try it on a smaller project first.

I've used pure wax including Beeswax and Paraffin for finishing before so at least I know what I'll get when I start waxing a 2 x 4 x 4 enclosure. The Beeswax will work nicely and be effective enough to moderate water movement in and out of the wood to hopefully avoid splitting...

as for a finnish to a wood cage i dont know but I actually use shaved paraffin wax when breeding wax worms its cheaper and easier
to obtain then beeswax

Back
Top Bottom