PantherHumidity needs?

Regnad

I see that 50-60 percent general humidity seems preferred for a Panther. Could someone please explain what the humidity achieves vs, say, 30 percent? Stan gets four 5-minute misting sessions per day and his shedding and urates seem fine. He's eating gut-loaded supers, crickets and silks and likes collard greens.

Should I be concerned about the general 30 percent and why?

Thanks a LOT for any advice.

humidity helps simulate their natural habitat, the lower the humidity the faster your cham dehydrates. When i spray i make sure the screen is drenched in water so you cant see inside the cage, the plants are all dripping and the braches are soaked. paper towels on the bottom of the cage also help hold in humidity but need to be changed regularly. you could also use reptile carpet.

Occassional dips to 30% humidity are okay, as are spikes to 70-80% during misting, but you do want to aim for 40-60% most of the time - this is what the animal needs to stay healthy, especially in terms of skin /shedding, healthy eyes, and general hydration. Though I use drippers to meet the hydration needs of my chameleons, I still mist a little for the benefit of their skin and eyes. And the humidity where I live is naturally good, so its always around 50% in my chameleon room

Thanks for the replies, perhaps I'll mist at shorter intervals. Also keep watching shed and eyes carefully. Here he is outside yesterday...

Attachments

• stan small 6-29-09.jpg
    stan small 6-29-09.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 138
Regnad,

Beautiful Cham. Humidity for Panthers is important as Sandra said, for easier sheds. The Panthers are not Montane Species who really need higher humidity levels to maintain their health. I would not worry about humidity especially if you have a misting system (or hand mist often).

Nick

Seems like your doing everything right with the way your boy looks, He has very stunning color's and looks healthy as can be!

Back
Top Bottom