Panther WANTS to hibernate?!

Beelinn

Established Member
I've got all the correct lights, plants, enclosure, food, humidity, etc. I'm aware of the winter-time hunger strikes that many of the chams go through in the cooler states (I'm in MO).

Since my chams are in the basement, it is cooler there. But why doesn't Groot go to the upper part of the cage where it's warmer?? I've taken him off of the lower branches to put him on the warmer uppers, and after an hour or so he just goes back to the lower branches out of the light and warmth. I'm stumped. He's not really interested in food, so I've made him eat some dubias here and there. I've observed him drinking when I mist. He seems fine, he just wants to be sleepy. I'm going to try raising the floor of his enclosure today with hopes to conserve heat.

My little female, however, loves being in the light and warmth. Even though she's reduced her eating, she still eats.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex,and age of your chameleon. Howlong has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding yourcham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loadingyour feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products areyou dusting your feeders with andwhat is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recentdroppings. Has this chameleon everbeen tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to helpyou.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, andtypes of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp rangehave you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are yougeographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

In short, no. Your panther chameleon does not want to hibernate. It is likely a symptom of a health problem. You should take them to a vet to get 'em checked out if your light/humidity/diet are in line with the Panther Chameleon care sheet.

@Beelinn It might be a health problem. It might be the lights. I would try changing the lights, especially the UVB light. If they don't like the lights the will go down.

Sick chameleons also go down.

Chronic low-grade dehydration will cause kidney failure over time. They do really well and then they don't. It can look like you are describing.

I'll schedule a vet appointment then. The lights are only about 4 months old, so they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom