Panther, Veiled, Carpet, or Jackson's?

chameeeleon

So I get that chameleons in general are solitary and difficult to care for, but out of Panther, Veiled, Carpet, and Jackson's chameleons which would you say is good for beginners and doesn't mind being handled every now and then?

Every chameleon is different so thanks for offering your opinions! :)

Panther or Veilds are best for beginners and as far as handling, it really depends on the chameleon itself. You can unfriendly and friendly chameleons in all species.

panthers are very good first chameleons. they're very hardy and their husbandry is simple to achieve. if you have good husbandry, your chameleons will thrive. i've never had a veild, carpet or a jackson so i can't say from experience. i'm also partial to panthers. ;)

veileds and panthers are pretty close as far as easy care and hardiness.
But panthers are a lot more comfortable to have climbing on you - veileds have a stronger grip and some really dig those claws in! Most panthers have a more gentle grip.

I'm also a first time chameleon owner only because my bf bought ours at a spur of the moment thing, not the greatest thing to do considering we hadn't done any previous research about them. Regardless of the random decision, we bought everything we needed for her. (Bought her from petco) I dont have exp with the other species although I have seen them, I still fancy veilds. Just just like their overall sillouhuette and look.

I would however, suggest you get a male first as they have less things to worry about, (ie eggbinding, lay bins, etc) as well as a longer lifespan. Never had an issue with her being aghressive as of lately, which could be for multiple reasons, but she is generally a sweetheart. Our juvenile male, Zeke, isn't as timid the more we handle him.

So far I feel we have been doing a great job keeping them happy and healthy to the best of our abilities. I didn't find it difficult to cater to either of them. Zeke, being a male, did seem more 'aggressive' than Cami, but I have my ways of getting him to simmer down. :p

Another thing was... They are a lot cheaper than the other species. ;p But if money isn't the issue then its all on you. I do like the vibrant colors of the panthers but the veileds patterns suffice as well. Oh yea.. And veiled males obv have more color than females. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
This is our Cami. Not her most recent pic but it shows one of her many color changes. She is currently almost 1yr old and at 1ft long, nose to tail. Dont think she'll grow very much more, she's most likely done growing. The other pic is of our babyboy Zeke. He is about 5 months old. I BELIEVE we got them both at about 3 months old from petco. They were about an inch?? Thats body length though, not inc the tail. Such tiny, fragile things.

GO VEILDS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 272
I have kept all 4 species. Lateralis is my favorite of the 4. I usually recommend veileds or panthers for beginners but if you find a captive bred carpet chameleon you have plenty of support on this forum. I would like to see more people keeping some different species.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of jacksons. I'd stick with the captive bred veileds and panthers.

Shea Peterson

i think that veiled and Panther would be the best for a first time owner but i would go with panther chameleon because they tend not to be as aggressive if you dont hold them everyday. In my opinion Veiled chameleons are a little harder to get them to like you:) this is a pic of my panther cham Thor! He is right at 7 months old

IMG_1088.jpg
e

I would have to agree with the comments on here Panthers and Veileds are both great beginner chams because they are a hardy species. I will add that Jacksons are a relatively harder species to keep in captivity they are much more touchy when it comes to supplements and in my experience don't tolerate handling as well as panthers or veileds do. All just my opinion of course. Good Luck with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom