Panther male, slightly sluggish, sometimes misses branch with rear legs

Is he going to resent me or be stressed after the vet visit? What am I in for? He trusts me so much more than he did 6 months ago, very rarely gapes at me.

IMG_20190808_195105.jpg IMG_20190808_195053.jpg

Is he going to resent me or be stressed after the vet visit? What am I in for? He trusts me so much more than he did 6 months ago, very rarely gapes at me.

View attachment 242458 View attachment 242457
He might a little bit. I dont think it cant be undone though. My girl did pretty awesome at the vet she climbed everywhere and explored. Had some stress colors at the end but she didnt seem to hold a grudge on me.

^agree with above. I’ve had to take larry to an emergency vet visit back in feb but he didn’t really seem to care. Imelda she’s a different story I always get hissed at And tries to bite me. Just depends on the chameleon

He looks rather large, kind of overweight, his colors are beautiful, oh yeah, bsfl are a great staple although they are pretty small

He looks rather large, kind of overweight, his colors are beautiful, oh yeah, bsfl are a great staple although they are pretty small
Yeah, that's what I am hearing from others in this thread. He is my first cham so I don't really know what to expect, he looked healthy to me but what do I know. My guess it's from the superworms he has been eating. His entire diet/supplements are getting an overhaul. Interested to see what his bloodwork results show.

I heard the same about BSFL's but not sure how accurate that is anymore. I'm trying to switch back to dubia's.

Here's a sleeping shot and a just woke up shot:
IMG_20190503_063647.jpg IMG_20190512_104246.jpg

Do you have a kitchen scale and weight him ever? I try and weigh my chams at least once a month
Yeah, I actually planned on doing that once I got him but he wanted nothing to do with me once I let him out into his cage. I wish I would have weighed him in his container and did the math to exclude container weight.

I'm going to start keeping an eye on his weight.

He doesn't always look fat though:
IMG_20190714_152213.jpg

Yeah, I actually planned on doing that once I got him but he wanted nothing to do with me once I let him out into his cage. I wish I would have weighed him in his container and did the math to exclude container weight.

View attachment 242461

As previously mentioned, they don't really visibly store fat in their abdomen/torso like mammals. The tip off that he's obese is his casque. You can also see how heavy his legs are.

Did you watch that necropsy video Brody posted? It shows all of the fat pads, and how a chameleon stores fat/how they affect organs.

View attachment 242461

He is so pretty! Their body can change size like inflate and deflate, my understanding is thru carry fat in their tail casque (maybe just reaf something conflicting to that...) and arms. He has cute chubby little arms. Def a bit big. My bet used a toilet paper roll to get the cham on a scale thought it worked pretty well!

View attachment 242461
Yea it’s hard to get them to stay still but a box on to of the scale works you can zero it out and place the chameleon inside

It’s the casque you want to look at, as you can see his looks like he is a giant butt on top. I will attach a photo of a chameleon that’s not overweight so you can see what we are talking about E0833722-577F-41E6-8C2B-2AAE5BA7F653.jpeg

As previously mentioned, they don't really visibly store fat in their abdomen/torso like mammals. The tip off that he's obese is his casque. You can also see how heavy his legs are.

Did you watch that necropsy video Brody posted? It shows all of the fat pads, and how a chameleon stores fat/how they affect organs.

View attachment 242462
That video was what I was confused anoit after reading the last post in this thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-casque.89240/

Last edited:
Interesting. I thought his casque was just shaped differently. My chameleon doesn't have the protruding 'nose' like other panthers have. I just thought it varied by chameleon. Good info.

Yeah, that's what I am hearing from others in this thread. He is my first cham so I don't really know what to expect, he looked healthy to me but what do I know. My guess it's from the superworms he has been eating. His entire diet/supplements are getting an overhaul. Interested to see what his bloodwork results show.

I heard the same about BSFL's but not sure how accurate that is anymore. I'm trying to switch back to dubia's.

Here's a sleeping shot and a just woke up shot:
View attachment 242459 View attachment 242460
@RyanBRZ He needs a vet if he’s sleeping in the daytime!

Hi thanks for reading through that stroke I had writing the above comment. It now makes sense and thanks for this graphic!
Us witch’s need to stick together
@RyanBRZ He needs a vet if he’s sleeping in the daytime!
hes just showing how he looks when he sleeps he’s not saying he’s sleeping during the day and he has scheduled an appointment like he stated above

Back
Top Bottom