Panther male, slightly sluggish, sometimes misses branch with rear legs

Us witch’s need to stick together

hes just showing how he looks when he sleeps he’s not saying he’s sleeping during the day and he has scheduled an appointment like he stated above
No, his exact words were “a sleeping shot”, his words not mine.
6BF08AA5-3B4D-4C57-9E65-3B24360D5CBF.jpeg

He looks rather large, kind of overweight, his colors are beautiful, oh yeah, bsfl are a great staple although they are pretty small

Depends what we mean by staple, only feeding BSFL would not be ideal. People hear they have a lot of calcium and just think that's it, they're perfect, we don't need anything else. It's so much more than that. If by staple you mean a regular addition to gutloaded crickets, roaches, and other feeders, then for sure, go for it.

Here. Eyes closed, you said it was a sleeping shot, sunshine in the window.
Fair enough, but jumping the gun a little on the 'go to a vet!', I am finding this kind of 'advice' is now common on these boards. Sundown/sunrise in many areas is not 12 hours, for me it's dark out for 8 hours, so just because its light outside does not mean it's within the chameleons daytime schedule.

Fair enough, but jumping the gun a little on the 'go to a vet!', I am finding this kind of 'advice' is now common on these boards. Sundown/sunrise in many areas is not 12 hours, for me it's dark out for 8 hours, so just because its light outside does not mean it's within the chameleons daytime schedule.
No it absolutely is not jumping the gun.

Yes, you do hear that a lot on these boards because people like you come here asking for help long after it should have been sought out. Then once given, you turn around and downplay the advice freely given by veterans. You have said and proven you do not know what your doing but you still have your fingers in your ears screaming “Lalalalala, I can’t hear you” at the top of your lungs!

You came here asking for help because your Cham was:
-falling
-sluggish
- having trouble finding his footing
-dragging himself over branches(not supporting his own weight)

^ ANY SINGLE ONE of these symptoms is justification for a vet visit. ANY. SINGLE. ONE.

While helping you, our members also pointed out to you that your Cham:
- is obese
-hasn’t had a proper gut loading program
-hasn’t had a proper supplement program
- has been fed mostly junk food for several months

Now at the start of this thread I gave you some credit as knowing what to do and that I thought you had only fallen short on your implementation. I was wrong.

You’ve had at least 5 veterans tell you he needs a vet and somehow you still believe we’re “jumping the gun.”

What kind of combination of arrogance and ignorance must it take for you to come to such an idiotic conclusion?

This forum would be a good place for advice but I think I'd rather pay a vet then to come here for feedback. I said only you were jumping the gun because you assumed my cham was sleeping during his day cycle and said 'he needs to see a vet he's sleeping during his day cycle!'.

When did I downplay anything and when did I say I was not going to a vet? Please provide quotes. I had a vet appointment before the other guy said I was 'downplaying' anything.

I acknowledged the fall was a concern, diet and supplementation issues, and am doing what I can to resolve the issues. I dont think I did anything wrong here, some of you guys are too harsh with your assumptions.

I said only you were jumping the gun because you assumed my cham was sleeping during his day cycle and said 'he needs to see a vet he's sleeping during his day cycle!'.

No, assumption was made. Direct quote: “here’s a sleeping shot” with sunshine blazing through the window and lights on in the room. That is what you showed us. Daytime.

Do not try to add words to my comment about him needing a vet if sleeping in the daytime, it will not bolster your position. Anyone can go back and see exactly what was said. Your only making yourself look foolish.

When did I downplay anything and when did I say I was not going to a vet? Please provide quotes. I had a vet appointment before the other guy said I was 'downplaying' anything.

I never said you said you weren’t taking him to the vet. That was one of your assumption or you simply didn’t comprehend what you read. This is textbook downplay. Here’s your quote:
9E8B4723-463D-413B-A2ED-024B9AB5686E.jpeg

You're thick headed and I'm not going to bother going back and forth with you on this, you will standby your ignorance as you are demonstrating.

Thank you to everyone else that has helped out in this thread. I will let you guys know how he makes out after the appointment.

The visit went relatively well. Doc took some blood and gave him a calcium injection just incase he is low. Based on bloodwork results I may get an xray so see if his bones are ok. I mentioned the overweight concern and he said he thinks he looks fine because he can see his ribs, which makes me think he does not have much cham experience. He agreed with getting him back on gutloaded dubia's and/or crickets, warned against going on too long of a food strike due to the need for calcium. He thinks the sluggishness with his back legs could be soreness from his fall and to keep an eye on it. I had him walk on a stick in front of the doc and while he and his assistant held him his rear legs were gripping tight and felt confident, no sluggishness. Weighed in at 210 grams.

Poor guy, I thought he was going to hate me. When I got home he came out of the box and was fine like nothing ever happened. He made some friends at the vet, including a gigantic lab/golden mix (see 2nd picture).
IMG_20190809_160525.jpg IMG_20190809_175801.jpg IMG_20190809_181518.jpg IMG_20190809_182702.jpg

Last edited:
Bloodwork came back with a really calcium to phosphorus to calcium ratio, around 1:1 instead of 1:0.5. Having a calcium injection yesterday was a good move and fixing up his diet will help. He also mentioned high protein which can cause inflammation and is prescribing an anti-inflammatory medication which I have to give orally...not looking forward to this. Has anyone ever done this and have any suggestions? The vet suggested holding him as pictured above to get him to gape and shoot it in the back of his mouth.

Bloodwork came back with a really calcium to phosphorus to calcium ratio, around 1:1 instead of 1:0.5. Having a calcium injection yesterday was a good move and fixing up his diet will help. He also mentioned high protein which can cause inflammation and is prescribing an anti-inflammatory medication which I have to give orally...not looking forward to this. Has anyone ever done this and have any suggestions? The vet suggested holding him as pictured above to get him to gape and shoot it in the back of his mouth.
@RyanBRZ what did the vet put him on metacam ? If so be sure the protein has nothing to do with kidney function .

He didn't say specifically which med over the phone, I pick it up Monday and I can ask.
If that’s what he is prescribing be sure to have a kidney work up done as well . He also needs to be very well hydrated being on that . I always start with 1/2 the dose .

Last edited:
If that’s what he is prescribing be sure to have a Kennedy work up done as well . He also needs to be very well hydrated being on that . I always start with 1/2 the dose .
My boy loves to drink and have never had an issue with hydration. Are you suggesting trying to get him to drink more than normal using a syringe/sprayer?

My boy loves to drink and have never had an issue with hydration. Are you suggesting trying to get him to drink more than normal using a syringe/sprayer?
Not at all if he’s a great drinker that’s wonderful . Just keep an eye for any other or new signs . I know you are anyhow . Anti-inflammatories Are very hard on the kidneys especially medacam , that’s the most common prescribed . If he’s already having high protein levels you just want to make sure his kidneys are at full function . Did your vet mention when he will retest ? It’s often 8 weeks .

We did not discuss a re-test yet, I think 8 weeks sounds reasonable to see the effects of his diet change. I'll need to ask about this.

Back
Top Bottom