Panther male, slightly sluggish, sometimes misses branch with rear legs

Panthers can eat adult dubia, my chams were always able to judge what they could handle. I knew if they were hesitating, the feeder was too large.
My girl , and I, learned the hard way what was too big. I figured she could take a big Hornworm since they're gushy dudes but nope. It thrashed hard and got her on the neck and she kept trying but it looked like it was just too big. She spit it out and we've both been a little traumatized on big feeders since then.

But do they have a preference that anyone has noticed? I want to make them as enticing as possible. It's been months since he went after one.
My boy loves hissers. Other than crickets, that's all I've been able to get him to eat so far. James has some great hissers!

My cham won't eat what she thinks is too big and she is a she so a little smaller. The Medium sized dubias seem to be perfect for her.

It's really about movement -- dubias don't move much which is why I think some chams arn't interested. Where do you live? Some other faster roaches might be your cham's jam.
My girl , and I, learned the hard way what was too big. I figured she could take a big Hornworm since they're gushy dudes but nope. It thrashed hard and got her on the neck and she kept trying but it looked like it was just too big. She spit it out and we've both been a little traumatized on big feeders since then.
With the 'between the eyes' size rule, it is cutting it close when it comes to adult dubia roaches, they are huge. I am going to try starting out with ones on the smaller side, maybe I'll throw 2 superworms in the cup to annoy the roaches to keep them moving.

With the 'between the eyes' size rule, it is cutting it close when it comes to adult dubia roaches, they are huge. I am going to try starting out with ones on the smaller side, maybe I'll throw 2 superworms in the cup to annoy the roaches to keep them moving.

So-- that rule is really meant to keep new keepers from feeding their young chameleons something too big. In the wild, chameleons eat small birds and other vertebrates. I think mixing them with another feeder is a good idea -- but they do have pretty good aim and he might be able to pick out the supers.

Try medium dubias or like @Daesie11 mentioned some hissers or red runners.

I use the Full Throttle Feeders feeding cup and the roaches can and sometimes do climb up the side. When I first dump the roacheds in they kinda scramble and that's when eats them. This morning I threw in 4 medium dubias and 3 medium silk worms and she gobbled all but 1 dubia.

What do you guys use as a feeder cup? I work all day so ideally I like to throw them in a container and let him eat when he wants. Free range will not work with dubia's, unfortunately.

I use this:

https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/copy-of-gutloads-and-supplies

Rando note -- I don't use this for crickets. I let them free range / let her hunt. I put them in the feeder cup the first day I got it so she would know cup = food. Since it's a relatively small area she went HAM and had like 3 in her mouth at once. One was hanging from her mouth by it's little leg! Ridiculous.

I used to free range crickets but he stopped eating them, too :(. They are annoying to keep but so easy to gut-load, they love to eat!

I used to free range crickets but he stopped eating them, too :(. They are annoying to keep but so easy to gut-load, they love to eat!

I would say stick it out with some tough love and offer nothing for 5 days. I bet he will eat what you present.

I would say stick it out with some tough love and offer nothing for 5 days. I bet he will eat what you present.
Yeah you're right, I just need to hold out. It would be great if I can pull this off. I've had a dubia colony since November and he has not eaten anything from it. I am feeding them pretty much every other day.

Yeah you're right, I just need to hold out. It would be great if I can pull this off. I've had a dubia colony since November and he has not eaten anything from it. I am feeding them pretty much every other day.

I know it feels weird to withhold food but it's for the best! Keep me updated I hope you can feed off your dubias if not I'll buy em from you! I am not currently breading any feeders.

Is it just the angle, or has your guy gotten a little chubby? It looks like he has pretty pronounced fat pads, especially around the casque!

In addition to the recommendations of some tough love to get him back on track/supplementation/shifting your lighting, I'd work on weaning him down to every other day feedings. Nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem. :)

I just realized I was not addressing your original question! What Beman said is good advice -- move the uvb to the middle. I would also say that an LED is not a great basking bulb but as long as your basking temp is good - it should not interfere with the UV bulb. Make sure you are switching your bulb every 6 months, 9 if it's an arcadia -- or get a UV Meter to measure. Try to get him into the sun for a bit every day -- and I would also consult an exotic vet. Falling is no bueno.

Is it just the angle, or has your guy gotten a little chubby? It looks like he has pretty pronounced fat pads, especially around the casque!

In addition to the recommendations of some tough love to get him back on track/supplementation/shifting your lighting, I'd work on weaning him down to every other day feedings. Nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem. :)
Here's more, is he fat? Maybe from the superworms he was eating?
IMG_20190612_2041492.jpg IMG_20190527_112135.jpg
I just realized I was not addressing your original question! What Beman said is good advice -- move the uvb to the middle. I would also say that an LED is not a great basking bulb but as long as your basking temp is good - it should not interfere with the UV bulb. Make sure you are switching your bulb every 6 months, 9 if it's an arcadia -- or get a UV Meter to measure. Try to get him into the sun for a bit every day -- and I would also consult an exotic vet. Falling is no bueno.
Definitely moving the lights tonight, and yes as stated in my original post, using zoomed t5's, original was replaced at exactly 6 months and plan to do so going forward.

He gets outside time at least once a week. Last Weds he was out for the entire day because my power was out due to a storm. I bring him out on weekends while I drink my coffee.

View attachment 242380 View attachment 242381

Definitely moving the lights tonight, and yes as stated in my original post, using zoomed t5's, original was replaced at exactly 6 months and plan to do so going forward.

He gets outside time at least once a week. Last Weds he was out for the entire day because my power was out due to a storm. I bring him out on weekends while I drink my coffee.

Thats pretty adorable. Tell me you drink Chameleon Cold Brew while you hang !

He does look overfweight. This "witholding" just turned into a "Fast"!

View attachment 242380 View attachment 242381

Yeah, he looks pretty hefty to me. See how pronounced his casque is, the way it kind bulges out and looks kinda like a butt? His cheek pads are full, too, and he's just a little big all over. Definitely time to start cutting him back!

Thats pretty adorable. Tell me you drink Chameleon Cold Brew while you hang !

He does look overfweight. This "witholding" just turned into a "Fast"!
Lol, no, I've been wanting to try that though. I'm kind of a coffee snob, I buy from local coffee roasters and brew using an aeropress.

Back
Top Bottom