Panther Locale?

Bigheadben

First of all I would just like to introduce my new Panther Cham, he doesn't have a name yet so suggestions are welcome! Also, I've been told his locale is Ankaramy so just checking this is correct :)
5c28fe79-db89-08d4.jpg
5c28fe79-dba1-9759.jpg
5c28fe79-dbb9-acfa.jpg
5c28fe79-dbd6-e853.jpg

I believe Ankaramy are only Pink, never green/blue. He looks Ambanaja to me... I am still learning just how to define locals though. All I know is he is not Ankaramy.

very hard to say, his head looks like a nosy be, body looks like a dull ambilobe.i would gess that its be x ambilobe

Thanks for the replies, does anyone have any pictures of what I should expect his colours to look like when he's an adult?

How old is he, and what does he look like at night sleeping or fired up? I see some pinks/reddish under front leg and around the carapace (sp?)

Looks like he would fie up greenish/blue body and darker blue stripng and maybe some purple/red hi lights?

Trying to read colors myself... I never been good at visualizing colors.

If he´s only 4 months old he could be an Ankaramy. He has a very thick latteral line typical for Ankaramys. Should develoup more red/pink with every shed now if that what he is.
Here are a fullygrown Ankaramy.

Attachments

• ankaramy001.jpg
    ankaramy001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 177
I dont see a teal spine and the latteral bar is somewhat broken up. Just doesnt look like what I'd expect of an Ankaramy

https://www.chameleonforums.com/ankaramy-79123/#post745595

I believe Ankaramy are only Pink

Well Sub adults tend to stay pink most of the time. But as they age I believe some males are more pink just when fired up, and somewhat bland green brown otherwise. Usually have a teal spine colour and an Even lateral bar.

Caveat - I've never owned an Ank and am NOT an expert on them :)

Last edited:
See thats where I get lost.... When I look at that night picture it looks just like this guy to me minus the dark spots on the reference picture:
IMG_0110.jpg
5c28fe79-14d7-7571.jpg

But like I said when it comes to visualizing anything in colors I get messed up.

Just contacted the previous owner and he is about 6 months old! So are we going with ankaramy? haha getting confused with all the locale lingo :)

Oh I dunno, like I said not a good judge. I defer this stuff to the pro's like Sandra.

Just contacted the previous owner and he is about 6 months old! So are we going with ankaramy? haha getting confused with all the locale lingo :)

I'm gonna go a different direction and say he may have mitsio or a super yellow blue bar amilobe. He looks like with time and good care he will pop yellow!

Edit: DEFINITELY going with nosy mitsio. Just a late bloomer. Give him lots of time outside in the natural sun and a few sheds and I am sure he will be a gorgeous yellow. I would bet on it if I knew what to bet on lol!

Last edited:
locale?

Just an opinion but he might be ambilobe or sambava. Just my guess though. Also looks wild caught due to his colors whatever his locale may be. Jim at The Chameleon Company probably could help. He's very knowledgeable about panther chams. :)

I think you should ask us again in a couple more months :) He's too young for us to say anything with any sort of certainty. I see the blue spikes typical for an Ankaramy, but the rest is more ambiguous. I say just enjoy him as he is for a couple months, take good care of him, and see where we are then. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out yet, but I haven't seen Ankaramys at different stages of development, so I couldn't say. Chameleons do weird things as they mature.

I vote Tamatave. I've heard a shipment of them has come in recently? I know a few others who have acquired some (randomly). They are 5-8 months old as well.

I 99.99% doubt Ankaramy.

That chameleon is NOT too young to get a good opinion on.

Tamatave have very dull, muted colors and are often sold as Ambilobes. Sometimes often mixed with Ambilobes.

Google 'Tamatave Panther' and you'll see him.

y is nobody sending this link to the mods? they can identify chams just like that! didnt any of you read that thread where they were naming em off

I think you should ask us again in a couple more months :) He's too young for us to say anything with any sort of certainty. I see the blue spikes typical for an Ankaramy, but the rest is more ambiguous. I say just enjoy him as he is for a couple months, take good care of him, and see where we are then. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out yet, but I haven't seen Ankaramys at different stages of development, so I couldn't say. Chameleons do weird things as they mature.

Yeah! Like Calais going from THIS: https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-pictures-ambilobe-x-nosybe-49017/
To THIS: https://www.chameleonforums.com/hand-feeding-video-some-pics-85224/

When I first got him I was like "wait... where's the one you showed me a picture of?!?" Haven't seen him change this blue ever lol he must have grown out of it.

Ok will do, what sort of age are their colours at their best? I'm so excited, just want to see him all fired up!

Back
Top Bottom