Got a new baby Veiled!

Hi! I just got my new baby Veiled Cham, and yes it is a boy 👍. This is my third Cham and i'm hoping to give him a great long life, also I have not named him yet and if you have some names suggestions, that would be great and much appreciated (I'm not good at naming! 😄).

601edeafcfe5465f8724ddca8b0231f0.jpg
🥰

Hey there. This is a hatchling you have... You want to make sure everything in husbandry is on point and that feeder size are extremely small. We are talking pinhead crickets about 3 dozen every single day.

May I see a few more pics of the baby and the entire set up you have it in including the lighting on top?

Hey! Sorry, since I just got him his UVB and basking is coming in tomorrow. I need to add a few finishing touches to his enclosure and are adding live plants soon, right now he has fake plants. Here is another pic in the light so you can see him better! (also i'll get back with you on the enclosure tomorrow if that's ok?) 😄

1666936011503.jpg

@MissSkittles tagging you in on this thread
Hey! Sorry, since I just got him his UVB and basking is coming in tomorrow. I need to add a few finishing touches to his enclosure and are adding live plants soon, right now he has fake plants. Here is another pic in the light so you can see him better! (also i'll get back with you on the enclosure tomorrow if that's ok?) 😄

View attachment 350987
Ok so on this young of a baby you would not provide heat unless your ambient temps daytime are below 70. Then you would use a very low wattage like 40watt and lift it up off the cage a few inches so it is just warm if you lay your hand on the screen. Hot temps will dehydrate and kill babies this young.

I dunno how old they told you this baby was but I hate the fact that someone was selling them this young. Besides size of the baby the casque barely being prominent is your tell tell sign that it is a very young hatchling.

He is going to screen climb the top of the cage constantly. So this means you have to lift your UVB off the top of the cage. If you tell me exactly what fixture type and bulb strength I can give you info for that.

Ya, he is really small and the seller said he was no more than 1 week old 😬. I was planning on waiting until he got older for the basking and I just got 10 dozen pinhead crickets, i'll let you know when he eats. I am using the Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO 5.0 UVB Lamp - 24W - 22 in. 👍

Ya, he is really small and the seller said he was no more than 1 week old 😬. I was planning on waiting until he got older for the basking and I just got 10 dozen pinhead crickets, i'll let you know when he eats. I am using the Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO 5.0 UVB Lamp - 24W - 22 in. 👍
Yeah as long as your daytime ambient is in the low 70's he will be fine. UGGG you will really have to be over cautious with husbandry and I would not hold this baby at all until it is at least 3 months old. They are extremely susceptible to stress and if husbandry is not spot on it can impact their immune system making them decline very quickly.

For the UVB you want to lift it off the cage 4 inches. So measure 4 inches from the screen top to the bottom of the fixture. That will put baby within a safe zone for uvb and not put it into an overexposure level on the screen. You want tiny tiny branches about 5 inches below the screen top.

Do you have a feeder run you can put the crickets into? You do not want them loose in the cage because they will chew on baby when it sleeps.

Hi. :) Baby is adorable! Because he is so very yoing, it’s more important than ever that everything be as perfect as possible. He has zero resources to fall back on if even the smallest thing is wrong and babies can fail incredibly quick. I know it’s a lot, but I really think it would be best for baby that we do a full husbandry review, with some good pics of your entire enclosure, lights and floor included. Just copy/paste the following with your answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hello and welcome! Your little one is darling! Miss Skittles and Beman have a lot of experience you are in great hands with them!

I like the name Bartholomew (gotta stick with those B names)

Hey Guys! I love all these names, and i'll get back to you with the questions MissSkittles ✌️. I was also wandering since i've never had a baby this young if I need to use vitamin supplements and calcium with/without D3, If I need to what are some brands you would recommend 👍.
Again, Thanks for the names guys 🥰 (much appreciated!) 🥰

Hey Guys! I love all these names, and i'll get back to you with the questions MissSkittles ✌️. I was also wandering since i've never had a baby this young if I need to use vitamin supplements and calcium with/without D3, If I need to what are some brands you would recommend 👍.
Again, Thanks for the names guys 🥰 (much appreciated!) 🥰
You will still use the supplements. Very lightly dusted. Calcium without D3 at all feedings and then a multivitamin with A and D3 two feedings a month say the 1st and 15th. With this one being so young maybe just use the multivitamin once a month at one feeding until it passes the two month mark.

I prefer repashy brand. They do not overly coat insects and it is much easier to shake off the excess. I use repashy Supercal NoD for my plain calcium without D3 and then Repashy calcium plus LoD version for my multivitamin.

Hey! Thanks for the recommendations, also I was planning on switching to Repashy because Zoo Med ReptiCalcium clumps up too much. 👍 (also,is Repashy at PetCo or do I need to go somewhere else/order it online?) 😀

Hey! Thanks for the recommendations, also I was planning on switching to Repashy because Zoo Med ReptiCalcium clumps up too much. 👍 (also,is Repashy at PetCo or do I need to go somewhere else/order it online?) 😀
repashy is great XD, you could maybe go to the petco website and see if they have any in stock in a store near you. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom