Panther color

Zajlol

I was wondering something my panther chameleon is sometimes dark color in his cage, but once I take him out he brightens up a lot why is that?

From what I know about panther chameleons (I'm still newb) they turn dark when absorbing heat, and turn light when retaining heat. The mood colors are all unique for individual chameleons, though, so it just might be his way of being defensive. Sometimes they'll turn bright in a show of aggression, like peacocking.

How old is the panther? and male or female? I have a 8 month old panther, and he almost never changes color, he is always bright blue, he will flash red spots at me sometimes, but he hasn't changed dark since he was young. My Veilds however, change from light to dark frequently. hope this was of some service.

My panther used to do that before he got his colours. He used to be either a white colour or completely black. He went black when he was basking under the light. After about a year he started going green, blue and red and lost the white colour.

Now he's matured he goes a bit darker, but not black, either when he's basking or when he's got the ump.

Somebody told me that's why they're called panther chameleons - because of their ability to go completely black so quickly

its usually a sign of excitement (meaning excited in a good way OR a bad way like stress)..its the same as how they "fire" up when you put them by a mirror..most likley his darker "chill" colors are probably because he is basking taking on heat, or perhaps cooling off..do you have any pics?

My panther used to do that before he got his colours. He used to be either a white colour or completely black. He went black when he was basking under the light. After about a year he started going green, blue and red and lost the white colour.

Now he's matured he goes a bit darker, but not black, either when he's basking or when he's got the ump.

Somebody told me that's why they're called panther chameleons - because of their ability to go completely black so quickly

and to answer the panther chameleon question..no, thats not why the call them panthers..all chameleons will turn black really fast when extreamly discomforted..its just a color to express stress, discomfort, or anger.

Constipated Panther

I have a 4 month old Panther and he is constipated and i haven't seen him eat. What should I do? I'm a first time owner.

Basically what sdheli said. He's brightening up because you're there. I'm guessing if you reach in and get him out, he probably opens his mouth, dewlap blows up a little and raises an arm. I'm guessing he remains like that while your handling him.

As for the dark coloring, it could be that his colors just haven't really bloomed yet (as they won't for just a bit longer), he could be absorbing light, or he could be a little stressed. Take your pick :p

RangoRango: what do you feed him and how? Tried any other foods?

Rango

I feed him crickets that i just put in his cage, i'll sometimes lead a cricket his way to eat, but i haven't seen him eat in like a week. Hes seem's to have to what appears to me poop stuck to his butt and I can't get it off, or at least i'm afraid to hurt him. He's really small guy

Hmmm. Not sure about the poop. I was thinking if he wasn't eating then try other foods like roaches or superworms. Ask again on your own thread tomorrow, or consult a vet.

No only when I put mybhand in the cage will he sometimes open his mouth but once I get him out he's the nicest thing!

Your pet is probably turning brighter because its a defense mechanism, and those intense colors and flaring is used to scare away predators. Bright colors usually mean beware. Don't confuse him being sweet while he's out of the cage with him being submissive because he's super scared. I stressed mine out when I first got him and he had a few days where he just wouldn't eat.

I feed him crickets that i just put in his cage, i'll sometimes lead a cricket his way to eat, but i haven't seen him eat in like a week. Hes seem's to have to what appears to me poop stuck to his butt and I can't get it off, or at least i'm afraid to hurt him. He's really small guy
Hi, RangoRango. If the substance from your chameleon's posterior is whitish in color, it is a sperm plug. You can Google it and see. They adult males get these and they are harmless, but resist coming out. Tug firmly and it will come off. My panther had been off his feed for a while due to this. Pulling that off helped, but the bigger thing was giving him plenty of water. Mine literally drinking from a sports water bottle with a pull up spout. I have to drip some patiently on his nose until he rolls his eyes over to me to see if I'm being a nuisance or it is time to drink, but once he gets the idea, he drinks a lot of water (this in addition to frequent misting and other dripping water available most of the time).

Adult panthers like super mealworms and if you can make them wiggle enough (use tongs to fake movement if need be) wax worms are apparently yummy too. Put your calcium supplements in with the feeder food (meal for crickets, etc.) rather an doing shake and bake directly onto the crickets at feeding time, or he could get an upset stomach from the calcium.

Good luck!

My young female panther prefers crickets (okay, truth told, she'd eat anything, including the cat If it stood still), but the adult male was recommended to only eat eight super mealworms a day, with the young female eating 15 crickets a day. you may want to try your guy on the super mealworms since they do have distinct opinions on foods.

Back
Top Bottom