Padre (my Parsonii) Needs Your Thoughts and Prayers

Even now i cant belive this.... its just heartbreaking ....:(
you have all my support , i wish i could help you in any way .
if there is something i can do just ask it .
i know i cant even feel 1% of what you feel right now , but my heart is with you and your family .
I will never forget Padre, and i am sure allmost all from this forum wont forget him.
He got the best care in the world, lived happy and he was loved so much.
He was just a magneficent animal that will live forever in our hearts and memories and for sure he will be missed a lot .
I know somewhere out there he smiles at you !
Be strong Jann .

I just imagine him walking on a giant endless tree towards clouds and a lot of people and chams cheer him to climb +this song playing in the backround :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO2HNDQGzZg&feature=related

Thank you all for all of the post about Padre. I will throughly read them all just as soon as I can. I also plan to put up a tribute to him in the Memorial section when I can. I am devastated and still in shock. I never dreamed it was so serious and that I'd be bringing him home in a box. I have photos of the surgery that I will post and give you all more details on the surgery just as soon as I'm up to it.

Thanks again everyone for being here for me.

Take your time Jann.. I wish there was something I could do to help you through this. If theres anything you need, we are all here for you.

R.I.P. Padre

Jann I am so sad and heartbroken to read this. Losing a pet is just as bad as losing a family member and I know you will mourn him the same :(

Now Padre walks into the light,
having had his final fight,
mourn not the sight of his pretty face,
because now he's in his resting place,
no more suffering no more pain,
just basking in the sun and drinking the rain,
in chameleon heaven he now stays,
knowing you love him still in so many ways.

RIP Padre, you were so beutiful and a joy to all who knew you :( xxxxxx

Beautifully done! Very, very nice... :)

Sending hugs

:(
Thank you so much Deb and Rob. Red is in remission and just when Luie started to feel a little better, now this. Sometimes I just feel like I'm not cut out to be a cham keeper even thought I love them so much and try to take the best possible care of them, stuff still happens.

I'm so sorry to hear about Padre, Jann. I feel the exact same way as you described...about five times a day!! These critters are a lot of work. What causes the hole, do you know? (sorry if I missed it in an earlier posting)

I'm sitting at work reading this with tears in my eyes, my heart and thoughts are with you Jann and your family! At least the only positive in this is that he was already asleep when he was euthanized, and didn't have to suffer. Better to be in peace than suffering. RIP Padre, may your feeding cup always be full in heaven!!

Oh no!! My heart stopped when i visited the forum and I saw the threadtitle..and then hoping to find a message that Padre is recovering, it turns out he isn't there anymore.. ;-(((

I'm so sorry for your loss of Padre. It brings tears to my eyes.. My thoughts are with you..and wish you all the best to get over his loss..

Oh Jann

I am so sorry! I cried when I read this. I am here for you if you want to talk, I know how hard it is to lose a loved one. He knows you love him, and he's watching you from over the rainbow bridge, just remember that. It sucks, and it will for a while, but I promise you it will hurt less eventually.

RIP Padre :(

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Jann...

Jann, I am so sorry for your loss. :( Padre was a wonderful chameleon and will always be remembered not only because of his regal beauty but also through the unyielding love and dedication that you display for him and all your animals. Words can only go so far but please know that I (along with the rest of the forum) am here for you.

RIP Padre :(

There are no words to describe my heartbreak for you. I am so, so very sorry to hear about Padre and this terrible outcome. I just can't even imagine what you're going through right now and how much you are hurting. I know how much Padre meant to you and you did everything you could have done to give him an absolutely wonderful life with the very best care. I know you are doubting yourself right now, but if you are not fit to keep chameleons than no one is. He was in the best hands and I know he would not have had the chance that he did if he had been with anyone else. I just can't even express how sorry I am that you are going through this, on top of everything else. I cried when I heard he didn't make it knowing how much you're hurting. Again, I am so sorry. May your happy memories of your good times with Padre bring you comfort during this tragic time. Please let me know if you need anything at all. My most sincere condolences. :(

I am so sorry to hear all this. I always admired Padre. He was an amazing Cham. One of my all time favorites. You took so good care and he had the best life he could possibly have. You are an amazing Cham keeper with so much dedication and knowledge. I think this forum learned so much from you alone. My thoughts are with you.

Thank you Johnny and Ludger. Padre's a big boy for a chameleon. I'll post a photo of him for those that don't know him.

PadreDulceandSadie42912165.jpg

He was beautiful. RIP Padre

Thank you for all of your condolences. Everyone has been so thoughtful through this very difficult time. I still plan to post more details about the surgery and photo of the surgery as soon as I can.

Just heartbreaking on SO many levels, such a beautiful chameleon, a loss for us all. Sorry Jann, hope you heel quickly and that it is smooth sailing from here on out.

Thank you so much for all the loving thoughts and prayers to help get us through this sad sad time. I hope that by telling Padre's story it will help to save some other chameleons. I do have the surgery photos in my email and as soon as I can figure out how to get them on CF I will post them.

On Monday September 17th Amanda, my pet sitter and I took Padre to Dr. Mader thinking he was going to close the hole in Padre’s mouth. We had no idea it was so serious that we would be bringing him home in a box. Dr. Madre showed us the scope he’d be using to do Padre’s surgery and told us about the material from pigs used in humans that he'd be patching the hole with. When I gave Padre a kiss and left him at the vet’s office I thought we would be picking him back up that afternoon alive and well. A couple of hours later Dr. Madre called and told me the hole was so deep that he could not reach it thought Padre’s mouth and ask my permission to make an incision in Padre’s neck and try to get to it that way. I gave him my permission just thinking he would be able to fix the hole through the neck and Padre would have a little scar. I could deal with that. Then awhile later Dr. Mader calls and tells me it was too deep and it couldn’t be fixed. He said that the hole went into his lungs down to his heart and that Padre could not live like that. He ask my permission to euthanize Padre. I was not listening to him at all and kept begging him to please do something, anything to save Padre. He told me he would if he could and I knew that. That’s why I was there. He kept telling me that I wasn’t listening and telling me that he could not live in this condition so I had no choice but to let him go.

That afternoon when we went to pick Padre up he went over the photos made with the camera on the scope. The photos are step by step of the procedure and he showed me how deep the hole went and the white part around the hole was infection. He said he had never seen anything like it before and not really sure what caused it. Both vets said it could have been caused by a feeder that poked a tiny hole in his mouth that got infected and the hole grew and got deeper and deeper. It was not something that happened over night. He had probably had it for a month or even longer. It was also mentioned that it could have been a birth defect but I highly doubt that as many times as Padre’s mouth was examined.

When Dr. Alfonso found the hole last Thursday he did a culture and sensitivity test and the results showed Enterobacter and Acitenobacter were both grown in very high amounts. These 2 bacteria are very aggressive and known to be "flesh eating" when present for a while.

I hope that all of you will learn from Padre’s death the importance of regular vet checkups and thoroughly examining the insides of your chams mouth on a regular basis. Padre didn’t look ill as you can tell by the pictures in his Tribute thread in the memorial section here on the forums. https://www.chameleonforums.com/tribute-padre-93097/ The bottom few photos were just weeks before the hole was found. He had not been eating well and I now know it was because his food and water was getting into his lungs from the hole in his mouth. I’d also highly recommend removing the legs from feeders and crushing heads. I’m almost afraid to even feed my other chams now. Please let this be a learning experience and not let this happen to any other chameleon.

Will attach the surgery pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them from my email on to the forums.

Last edited:
I've only talked to a few of you but I usually post messages and such using just smiley's , mainly because I'm terrible with words . However , this is not the time or place for a smiley . All I can say is I'm sorry for your loss ... time heals all and just think of Padre in chameleon heaven , along with all the other chameleons and he's watching over the one that cared for him so much .

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the loving thoughts and prayer to help get us through this sad sad time. I hope that by telling Padre's story it will help to save some other chameleons. I do have the surgery photos in my email and as soon as I can figure out how to get them on CF I will post them.

On Monday September 17th Amanda, my pet sitter and I took Padre to Dr. Mader thinking he was going to close the hole in Padre’s mouth. We had no idea it was so serious that we would be bringing him home in a box. Dr. Madre showed us the scope he’d be using to do Padre’s surgery and told us about the material from pigs used in humans that he’s be patching the hole with. When I gave Padre a kiss and left him at the vet’s office I thought we would be picking him back up that afternoon alive and well. A couple of hours later Dr. Madre called and told me the hole was so deep that he could not reach it thought Padre’s mouth and ask my permission to make an incision in Padre’s neck and try to get to it that way. I gave him my permission just thinking he would be able to fix the hole through the neck and Padre would have a little scar. I could deal with that. Then awhile later Dr. Mader calls and tells me it was too deep and it couldn’t be fixed. He said that the hole went into his lungs down to his heart and that Padre could not live like that. He ask my permission to euthanize Padre. I was not listening to him at all and kept begging him to please do something, anything to save Padre. He told me he would if he could and I knew that. That’s why I was there. He kept telling me that I wasn’t listening and telling me that he could not live in this condition so I had no choice but to let him go.

That afternoon when we went to pick Padre up he went over the photos made with the camera on the scope. The photos are step by step of the procedure and he showed me how deep the hole went and the white part around the hole was infection. He said he had never seen anything like it before and not really sure what caused it. Both vets said it could have been caused by a feeder that poked a tiny hole in his mouth that got infected and the hole grew and got deeper and deeper. It was not something that happened over night. He had probably had it for a month or even longer. It was also mentioned that it could have been a birth defect but I highly doubt that as many times as Padre’s mouth was examined.

I hope that all of you will learn from Padre’s death the importance of regular vet checkups and thoroughly examining the insides of your chams mouth on a regular basis. Padre didn’t look ill as you can tell by Padre's pictures in his Tribute thread in the memorial section here on the forums. https://www.chameleonforums.com/tribute-padre-93097/ The bottom few photos were just weeks before the hole was found. He had not been eating well and I now know it was because his food and water was getting into his lungs from the hole in his mouth. I’d also highly recommend removing the legs from feeders and crushing heads. I’m almost afraid to even feed my other chams now. Please let this be a learning experience and not let this happen to any other chameleon.

Will attach the surgery pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them from my email on to the forums.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this Jann, I know how much you and your family loved and cherished him... R.I.P. Padre

Back
Top Bottom