Outside time and shedding?

Okay, so we have a pair of young Jax. We live in Upstate SC and it has been getting quite toasty by noon and in the afternoon, but feels pretty good in the mornings and evenings sometimes.

I'd like to get these guys outside some, but I don't know if I should wait until closer till Fall due to temps?

What's the best way to go about getting them outside, and what are warmers temps (like 80s) okay for a short amount of time in dappled shade? We do have a hibiscus in their enclosure (and they will be separated soon!) that I'd like to get outside some.

Also, the male is shedding and has been for a few days. I read that they can take a while to shed. Should I be on the lookout for anything or is there an amount of time that's too long? They have a humidifier and it provides a drip, and I mist at least 3 times a day. Some of shed has come off, I know, but it seems like the skin on his legs is having a hard time.

Yeah, I would wait until it gets cooler (low 80's and 70's). It can take a while to shed, sometimes a few months for my veiled to get it all off.

We took my dad's veiled outside during a pretty hot day recently while he was shedding. He was only out there 15 minutes and we made sure he had a cool place to climb on (a deck chair in the shade). After about 10 minutes his skin started to losen and it seemed to really accelerate the shedding. He didn't seem uncomfortable with the heat, but he was out of the sun and Veiled's can tolerate higher temps than most.

Back
Top Bottom