shed help

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was wondering what is the safest way to help chameleons with shed.
Now the answer many would give is have a higher humidity. Some would say to bath them as with other reptiles. I have been told that chameleons are dry shedders, if it´s too humid the shed gets stuck.

The shedd on my chameleons gets stuck longer than it should and since I saw a lepard lizard get blid due the stuck shed in their eyes ( poor lizard) I gonna be doing shed removal.
My idea was to to use make up sponges instead of Q tips due the fiber may get stuck on their eyes or on them. makeup sponges not having those and being a bit more corse would help to get the shed off.

Now my humidity may be off due to shedding getting stuck. I had had problems with RI a couple of times, so now I keep it on the lower end. Still mist during the night but less so. And really hope they don´t get sick again. So less humidity no vet visits.

So I think it really depends on what the issue is with the shedding. Beman takes much longer to get through his sheds as he has gotten older. It can take a good 4-5 days sometimes as he sheds sections. I do not step in and assist though with one exception. He has very long spikes on his spines and a few cross one another. If I do not help him with those sections on the spikes they just stay stuck. I just use my fingers gently when the shed has fully.

But I do provide night time humidity highs. The only time I have ever seen an issue of shed sticking is when he walks through the misting not with the fogging. They are dry shedders so a bath is out. And you should not increase humidity either. You want to keep your levels for day and night where they are recommended.

i just lightly mist and let dry, repeat. It turns to paper and flakes away. If its stuck, i just leave it unless its in a dangerous place like toes were it could cause blood flow issues.

It is not the toes or tail but the hrad horn and eyes, they get stuck. The humidity I got is one the drier side but it has work so far. I haven´t tried the sponge yet. I am just afraid that they are gonna mess their eyes since I saw that video.

Back
Top Bottom