Optimal Setup?

SamW

What size and type of lights would be optimal for a teenage male veiled cham? He lives in a screened 48"H x 24"W x 24"D. He's been having some skin/shedding issues around his yellow stripes and has also shown some signs of a URI (I'm getting this treated soon, anyone have any estimates on cost?). Previously, I have been suggested to mist him more (as I dramatically have) and it seems to maybe improving? I plan to get a grow light to suspend vertically for my plants, and also need to replace is current UVB. I've been using a 10.0, should I return to 5.0? Some say 10 is overkill, but I want what's appropriate for my cage size. SPECIFIC BRANDS AND SIZES ARE APPRECIATED, PLEASE INCLUDE LINKS IF POSSIBLE. Right now I have an 18" Reptisun 10.0 UVB placed somewhat diagonally, a 150w ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp (he spends most time under this), and a 75w ZooMed Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp that is on during most days, and sometimes during the night.

Also, any correlations with light setup (heat mainly is my guess) and where my friend chooses to do his business? He goes in the worse spot not and I'd like some consistency if possible.

Thank,

Sam and Samir

How old is he? Can you explain the shedding issue? What makes you think he has a URI? What are his basking temps/ambient temps?

Some people use 10.0 and other use 5.0 bulbs. Both work fine in my experience. Reptisun is usually the recommended brand. Some people use reptiglo but they can be a little weaker. Others are also having very good results with arcadia lights. A 150 watt basking bulb seems really high, is there any reason why you need one with such high wattage?

The night time bulb isn't necessary at night unless your temps drop down below 60. If you do need extra heat at night, a better option would be a space heater or a ceramic bulb as they don't produce any light. Chameleons can see the light from your night time bulb and it can disturb sleeping.

are you suggesting I lower to 100w? My guy hangs out around there and is always getting very close to his daytime heat light. (assuming in sought of heat). As for disturbing his sleep, nothing does. I sometimes let him spend the night out of his cage in a hibiscus tree and wake him up the next morning

Back
Top Bottom