opinions please

davieb769

well i finally got a descent camera and took some pictures of my 5-6 month male veiled "biggie" and his enclosure. let me know what you think

Attachments

• 2009_0103pics0003.jpg
    2009_0103pics0003.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 2009_0103pics0006.jpg
    2009_0103pics0006.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 217
  • 2009_0103pics0004.jpg
    2009_0103pics0004.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 207
Well, his colors look great. But, he's not standing upright and his arms look a little rounded. It does look like you have a tube style UVB light over his enclosure. What is your supplement schedule?

It may be my imagination, however. Sometimes the chams just hit an odd pose for photos, or the camera angle makes things distorted.

But, you asked for opinions. I do think he's beautiful. He has a lot of turquoise!

no your right, i actually have noticed that he likes to rest on the vines in his enclosure and his arms are a little out of shape.

i was dusting his crickets with calciun with d3 every other feeding for a little while until i realized this was wrong. now i dust his crickets every other feeding with regular calcium, and i only use with d3 + herptivite once a month.

Nice Colors on Biggie.

I did notice that the linear fixture looks like a Zilla. Is it? The Zilla linear light fixtures came with a piece of plexiglass that covered the bottom of the fixture. If thats the case, then NO UVB light is passing through to your cham, it will all be blocked by the plexiglass sheet.

no your right, i actually have noticed that he likes to rest on the vines in his enclosure and his arms are a little out of shape.

i was dusting his crickets with calciun with d3 every other feeding for a little while until i realized this was wrong. now i dust his crickets every other feeding with regular calcium, and i only use with d3 + herptivite once a month.

How old is your UVB bulb?

You may want to lightly dust with regular calcium every day, and do the calcium with D3 once a week, and the vitamins once every 2 weeks. The schedule you are currently using is more for the well established male adults.

What are his enclosure temps like?
Nice Colors on Biggie.

I did notice that the linear fixture looks like a Zilla. Is it? The Zilla linear light fixtures came with a piece of plexiglass that covered the bottom of the fixture. If thats the case, then NO UVB light is passing through to your cham, it will all be blocked by the plexiglass sheet.

Excellent point. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the issue here. The fixtures don't come with any instructions or warnings concerning the cover on that bulb.

Yes, you best act now though so it doesn't get any worse. Stunning colors on him though I really like his blue spotting

there is nothing between the bulb and the screen, so that isnt the problem, i guess ill start dusting his crickets every day. thanks for all the compliments by the way:D

He has MBD, it seems. If you have correct supplementation... I don't see how this is possible. Has he been taken to the vet for a fecal? I don't know if this is true for chameleons as well but I know some parasites can take a lot of vitamins from its host.

Thanks for the photos. Neocalglucon is prescribed by a reptile vet. It looks like your Veiled needs it. But if this is all due to camera angles, I apologize for jumping the gun.

well you see the problem comes into effect when i brought him to the vet. these blood suckers basically robbed be of 50$ and told me everything i already knew, actually i probably could have given them a few pointers. so i dont really have that option to go to a vet to fix any problem im having with biggie, i gotta do it myself.

oh and yea i got biggie from notorious big, ha NOTORIOUS!

Nice Colors on Biggie.

Just curious, you say the plastic on the light is going to block the UVB? I have two of the slim line UVB fixtures and they both have a piece of plastic covering the 18" tube. Is this the same case? should i remove the plastic? I have never had a problem yet, but dont want any either.

UVB doesn't pass through plastic and something else - I think it was glass? I'm not sure, sadly.

CRAZY!!! taking the plastic off right now. I cant believe NO UVB gets through, seems if this were the case my guy would be in sad shape by now. He has had covered UVB light for about three four months. Small amounts must pass through. But this is nice to know.

The only thing UVB passes thru is Crystal, hence the higher cost of lights.

UVB doesn't pass through plastic and something else - I think it was glass? I'm not sure, sadly.

The most likely reason why your cham isnt showing signs of MBD is most likely due to the fact you supplement Cal w/D3.

CRAZY!!! taking the plastic off right now. I cant believe NO UVB gets through, seems if this were the case my guy would be in sad shape by now. He has had covered UVB light for about three four months. Small amounts must pass through. But this is nice to know.

Last edited:
I am glad i came across this problem before my cham had problems of his own. Just curious, why hasn't my cham showed any signs of bad lighting if NO UVB gets through the plastic covers. The supplements must be the only thing saving him??

This is really quite bothersome. I bought these slim line light fixtures and they came with super UVB bulbs that were covered by the plastic guard. (i bought better bulbs) What is the point of the UVB bulb if they are selling them with the plastic. Same goes for the compact lights, and reptaid water conditioner. These companies should be sued for false advertisement. Even more bothersome is the fact that all of these products have a picture of a cham on them. (RIDICULOUS)
I think it would be worth it to make a sticky for all of the bull Sh@# products that are out there so people don't waste their money. ( i would, just dont know how to do the sticky note) :)

Last edited:
A, I had to think what you meant by plastic.. My hood didnt come with anything like that. Yea, hence why people use goggles while tanning, to protect their eyes from the UV rays since it cant pass through the plastic..;) I dont tan, Im white as white gets..but just an example.

And of topic kinda, I like the first photograph.:)

You are right Vince, your supplementation is what has prevented "major issues". Im glad you were able to catch this so you can make good changes.

I really wish manufacturers of these products would inform people of these things. People would be more informed and animals would be happier.

I am glad i came across this problem before my cham had problems of his own. Just curious, why hasn't my cham showed any signs of bad lighting if NO UVB gets through the plastic covers. The supplements must be the only thing saving him??

This is really quite bothersome. I bought these slim line light fixtures and they came with super UVB bulbs that were covered by the plastic guard. (i bought better bulbs) What is the point of the UVB bulb if they are selling them with the plastic. Same goes for the compact lights, and reptaid water conditioner. These companies should be sued for false advertisement. Even more bothersome is the fact that all of these products have a picture of a cham on them. (RIDICULOUS)
I think it would be worth it to make a sticky for all of the bull Sh@# products that are out there so people don't waste their money. ( i would, just dont know how to do the sticky note) :)

Davie i have used trex solar drops with great sucess they are an oil based d3 supplement you can get them from big apple or lll reptile you give one drop orally once a week this will stop mbd sadly nothing will reverse whats been done but he doesn't look that bad.

What kind of calcium and D3 are you using? If you are supplementing with a good brand of calcium with D3, every other day, you should NOT have any signs of MBD, UVB or not.

Back
Top Bottom