opinions please

If you supplement every other day with a D3 supplement how do you know you aren't overdoing it and causing kidney damage? With exposure to UVB, as long as the chameleon can move away from it if it choses to, there should be no danger of overdosing D3.

Well, I speak from experience. I USED to raise my chameleons without UVB - because when I started, UVB lights were siply not an option. So I hung onto what I knew worked - Rep cal. Problem is, as you stated, you DON'T know if you're giving too much.

I suplemented more than that in the beginning. Every feeding, every day, HEAVY suplementation - Dusting? Hah. It was more like heavy coating, like a carney puts powdered sugar on a funnel cake. Despite that, I never had any calcium problems.

Of course, later on, I realized I was giving them way too much. I started giving them calcium wiht D3 about every other feeding, lightly dusting. Kept chameleons for years and years, unitl I finally saw the real data on the repticun bulbs, and actually believed in them.

Dusting with repcal or minerall, every other feeding, should prevent MBD. Of course, you want to use a UVB bulb, for many reasons. While you can keep them just fine with supplementation alone, the risks of over or under dosing them is so high. Plus, the other benifits of using a zomed bulbs are there, too.

Back
Top Bottom