Opinions please: old stuck shed around horns?

maryanne27

Avid Member
A couple of months ago, I had to take Ollivander to the vet for an infection on his lip. After using the antiseptic wash and the silver sulfazadine cream for 2-3 weeks, it cleared up (actually cleared up within the first week, but per vet orders I continued to treat until he cleared it).

Last week, I notice this odd-looking area around his horn. I left for vacation the week before last, just as he was starting to shed. I kept humidity high and left instructions for family that would stop by to care for him. When I came home, I noticed that some of the shed was stuck on his casque and around one or two other places on his face. I put him in a misty shower for 45 min or so while I majorly disinfected the cage and changed out branches. This helped most of the yellowish shed drop off the front of the casque, but his right horns and face still seem to look odd - some light spots that are obviously stuck skin, some dark spots that look like maybe ooold stubborn shed but I'm ultimately not sure. The left is the same as it always is, and his whole body and behavior are normal. I've kept the mister and especially fogger going, and he hangs out in the densest fog in the cage.

Any thoughts? My work schedule is getting heavy, so I wanted to get opinions before trying to get a vet visit in. I have a ton of stuff left from the vet that I treated his lip with, and I was thinking of using it here just in case.

20180718_144418.jpg 20180718_144521.jpg

First of all he's gorgeous. I love his manicure.
I see the spot above his eye and something in the crease of his casque. If that is all I would leave it a couple of weeks and see what happens. I only intervene if the shed is strangling something. Mine tend to get pieces that float between their horns but aren't actually stuck.
When I do intervene I take a damp Qtip and gently tease the shed away.

First of all he's gorgeous. I love his manicure.
I see the spot above his eye and something in the crease of his casque. If that is all I would leave it a couple of weeks and see what happens. I only intervene if the shed is strangling something. Mine tend to get pieces that float between their horns but aren't actually stuck.
When I do intervene I take a damp Qtip and gently tease the shed away.

Thank you - for the compliment and the advice!
It really only worried me because the base of his horns got really dark.... He is my first with horns, so I didn't know if that was normal. I'll keep an eye on it, though, and keep q tips handy just in case ;)

Back
Top Bottom