Opinions on selling and adopting baby panthers

Kat_72

Established Member
For those of you who breed occasionally or as a passion for these wonderful animals what are some tips on adoption and selling captive bred panther babies.

I bred my male and female for my own sake with no intent in becoming a breeder but with a specific goal of incubating, hatching and raising my own babies. In the research and prep work I got 10 homes lined up ahead of time. All of the information I collected and studied told me that I would have to consider all eggs wouldn’t hatch...some hatchlings would die and not to count the panthers before they hatched lol.
Well 24 eggs laid..2 shriveled, 3 molded and 22 hatched and are now a little over one month old. 22 minus 10 is 12 to sell or adopt. I may keep two, I know I will keep one. Sooooo...now I need 10 more homes. I refuse to sell them to a pet store I will raise them myself before that. Craigslist is the worst but if I have to I will place an ad. So what I am asking is how do you find those perfect chameleon loving good homes. The boards here are always helpful. I do not see many replies in the classified or sales ads in the forum though and that’s a tad troublesome. Please don’t hate me for being that person. I love my chameleons like my kids. I wanted to witness a miracle and I knew I would keep a few and well does anyone else not know how adorable those faces are. I honestly didn’t think it would be 22 I though maybe a dozen. Worst case scenario my cage building fury will be put to work and my basement will become a lovely jungle home to 12 new cages. My bugs are now all bred in house and I can manage. I have all the equipment so there’s no cost to worry about except some cage materials. As far as adoption goes what do you do to screen potential adoptees? What did I miss besides the extra 10 homes...thanks in advance

Just ask what can they tell you on caring for a chameleon and be thorough. If they know how to care for them and have what they need to care for them, then it’s your decision. And if anyone gets mad at those questions You probably wouldn’t want them adopting one anyway.

But that’s just my opinion.. I hope you fine good homes for the little guys!

I told my cousin, who wants a Chameleon from me desperately, that before I give her one,she has to join this Forum, establish him/her self as a Member and "Submit", for the panels approval: 1) Photos of an enclosure 2) Proof of proper lighting 3) Proof of a misting system (preferably auto controlled, not a hand held spray bottle) 4) Proof of the possession of the necessary supplements 5) Putting all of this together into a working environment AND...finally, getting a thread going on here and convincing the panel that she is ready (ideally a moderator would give the OK), then I'll give her any cham she wants.

So far I haven't seen her on. I made the offer 2 months ago.

But I think the same line would work well to weed out killers.

I told my cousin, who wants a Chameleon from me desperately, that before I give her one,she has to join this Forum, establish him/her self as a Member and "Submit", for the panels approval: 1) Photos of an enclosure 2) Proof of proper lighting 3) Proof of a misting system (preferably auto controlled, not a hand held spray bottle) 4) Proof of the possession of the necessary supplements 5) Putting all of this together into a working environment AND...finally, getting a thread going on here and convincing the panel that she is ready (ideally a moderator would give the OK), then I'll give her any cham she wants.

So far I haven't seen her on. I made the offer 2 months ago.

But I think the same line would work well to weed out killers.
That’s a solid plan. Sad about the no follow through on her end. But this isn’t for the everyone. I mean it’s an investment in time, patience, learning and improving. I like the requirement needed. I may have to use that. If I could I would sell the set up and the chameleon as a package with all the proper equipment in place. Mist king, Arcadia, plants, cage and all along with feeders for the first week and supplements and be on call for questions and help where needed. I love my babies. It’s taken a lot of hard work on my end to get them here. They just shed and I was so happy lol. Thank you

Just ask what can they tell you on caring for a chameleon and be thorough. If they know how to care for them and have what they need to care for them, then it’s your decision. And if anyone gets mad at those questions You probably wouldn’t want them adopting one anyway.

But that’s just my opinion.. I hope you fine good homes for the little guys!
I have drafted a care sheet and some tips. I definitely don’t want to see them go to anyone who would harm them with improper care. Also I would make sure they could contact me and join here for help.
Thank you

:notworthy::rolleyes:I'm glad that your babies are doing so good and the feeders are bred in house. I'm sure that helps. This forum is great and I'm sure you won't have any problem finding new homes for your babies.

I can take one off your hands. See how easy that was?

Sounds like a pretty responsible plan indeed. Chameleons are not easy reptiles by any means....they're no bearded dragon, and therefor shouldn't go to just anyone. Kudos to you for feeling a responsibility to them! What kind of Panthers are they? I would be interested in one or two :)

I haven't got to the point of selling yet but I have been putting a list of requirements together. Top of the list is that they have to join the forum and contact me thru it so I know. I will always answer questions from anyone who buys from me but I'm not available 24/7. They need a misting system or a stay at home job. I will need to see and review the cage setup. I might even offer a discount based on membership.
I work closely with TK Chameleons and they have tried selling chameleons on the forum market page without much response. I don't think people know they need to PM the seller and get confused when they can't respond directly to the ad. The adds may not get enough traffic from people without chameleons already. Now they sell thru instagram and craigslist. Their chams go out with a care sheet and they do a lot of customer service after the sale.
I only ever joined the forum to buy a chameleon I couldn't find elsewhere so it does happen. I was just lurking for years before that.
Panther females don't sell as well as males until they are almost a year old. At that point breeders will want them so expect to house them for a while. Include pictures of the sire and the dam's sire in your ads.

If I was more established and had a good handle on my first one I would be begging you for one haha. I really see myself getting another species but not ready till probably early next year. Maybe I'll get a second one for my birthday in January.(y)

Back
Top Bottom