Oops - Kinyongia Boehmei

I’ve disrupted Lucy digging 3x now. First just her seeing me, then I put on a barrier. The next two were when misting (no mistking yet). She did see me both times when i misted as she came up from
The whole above the barrier.

A mantid ooth hatched in her cage so she has ample food for a few days, and she ate 5 small dubia today. Should i just stop hand misting for a day or two, and rely on ONLY heavy fogging overnight? @kinyonga what do you think? Im worried about her giving up and becoming egg bound.

I’ve disrupted Lucy digging 3x now. First just her seeing me, then I put on a barrier. The next two were when misting (no mistking yet). She did see me both times when i misted as she came up from
The whole above the barrier.

A mantid ooth hatched in her cage so she has ample food for a few days, and she ate 5 small dubia today. Should i just stop hand misting for a day or two, and rely on ONLY heavy fogging overnight? @kinyonga what do you think? Im worried about her giving up and becoming egg bound.
What about using just a dripper?

Finally got around to setting up their bio cages. Will take 2 weeks or so to fill in but they already seem to like it.

Lucy still has not laid her clutch, despite digging daily, so i hope this encourages her to lay. She immediately started surveying the new lay spots from above. Im worried about finding her eggs, so I blocked off 90% of the bottom with cork bark... so she will hopefully only dig up front.

@kinyonga had asked for a pic showing their size. Here is Desi, the male. Lucy is smaller... the size ratio between male/female veileds and panthers applies here too. She is maybe 1/2 - 2/3rds Desi’s size. She’s so tiny its hard to tell she is gravid!

1F73C6AF-4A49-4D6E-9F22-597572CAD498.jpeg

Lucy looks skinny (and a bit stressed), so I hope she laid all her eggs. I misted her and gave her some buggies and left her be. I'll wait a day or two before digging for the eggs so I don't stress her out too much.

My brilliant plan for covering the bottom with cork bark was a fail. She just dug under and around it... and she dug a TON of holes so I'm not sure I'll even find them! Her poop is like the size of a grain of rice. I can't imagine how small her eggs are going to be!

Lucy looks skinny (and a bit stressed), so I hope she laid all her eggs. I misted her and gave her some buggies and left her be. I'll wait a day or two before digging for the eggs so I don't stress her out too much.

My brilliant plan for covering the bottom with cork bark was a fail. She just dug under and around it... and she dug a TON of holes so I'm not sure I'll even find them! Her poop is like the size of a grain of rice. I can't imagine how small her eggs are going to be!
Good luck finding them!!! I was thinking the same thing the other day when I was looking at my girls, I would be scared of crushing them while digging

Lucy laid her eggs a few days ago. She’s super skinny... it’s crazy to think that I wasn’t sure if she was even carrying. She’s so small its hard to gauge anything with her.

I dug the eggs up tonight and recorded it. I’m a dork and super excited... my first egg hunt! I find them around the 26min mark.

The eggs are SO much larger than I expected... like large jelly beans (you called it @jamest0o0 ). I’m shocked as her poop is like the size of a grain of rice. The eggs are almost as big as her head! And she had 9 of them tucked in there... how!?!?

I hope they’re fertile. They’re on moist vermiculite (maybe a little too moist) and in a closet now. If they are fertile they may be Christmas babies!

AF0FA1A6-42C4-4E74-900A-A7800F300B5D.jpeg 9CF69589-D601-40A4-A8B6-5B77091EECA9.jpeg E286CBE4-89F7-46B3-AA6B-2063598435AF.jpeg

Its been about a month and Lucy’s eggs still look good. One month down, six to go. Fingers crossed!

Desi’s been acting crazy lately wanting out. He knows to sit at the bottom from of cage where the door opens. So today i took him outside for the first time - just for a few minutes. It is too warm for them at this point.

He’s typically shades of brown with a few bright green spots. When he is frightened, he turns whiteish with brown stripes. Once outside - he turned mostly brown and bright orange... before quickly turning almost pure white. The white coloration outside was thermal regulation... within 5-10 mins outside in 80° he started gaping and lightening to cool off. So back inside we went.

He looks a bit ashy here as he was just starting to lighten up.
23EB735A-4640-4097-B196-2324F061FB6F.jpeg

I’ve noticed both he and lucy have a notable ridgeline near their hips and down their tails. At first I thought maybe they were malnourished, but after a few months, and what I think is good weight... I am thinking it may be a characteristic of the species (along with the rostral area, spiked dorsal crest, and darkened buttholes - scientifically speaking).

Lucy, Desi, and the eggs all seem to be doing great. I have not paired them yet, Lucy came to me gravid. But Desi sure is eager to get out there and meet a lady friend! He waits by the door for me, and he doesn’t think twice about coming out onto my hand. I really have to watch him when it is time to eat, because he is SNEAKY and FAST.

Lucy’s still very shy, until its breakfast time... and she practically flys to my hand or the cup to eat. These girls love to eat!

These guys have been very interesting. They are very active. I’ve found them to be very easy to keep as its not hard for me to meet their temp and humidity needs in my basement. I also really like the smaller, densely planted cages... much easier to find a spot for them vs a 2x2x4 or larger!

8BD44F5D-FA89-46F6-8269-C3D7BF96F07C.jpeg 624A8A46-987D-46C9-89AC-BE2C47FA836D.jpeg 323325D4-B25F-4AF5-B4B7-F03ABA265679.jpeg EBE5E704-621C-4477-BC85-8A4BE26F92DC.png BB4553DE-DC3C-4A7B-A5E9-26220C0CBE2A.png EC1985FC-58D4-4D0B-98F1-D6BA786E99F6.png

These guys are just cute and fully of personality. Desi is very “friendly” and comes to the door for food and a little exploring. Its been too warm for them to go outside, but now that cooler weather is here Im going to start taking them outside.

An interesting observation... I’ve read about other keepers witnessing this, but now Ive seen it a few times myself. They use their hands/mits when eating! Not every time, but if there are unruly prey, or bugs they dont like, they will hold them in their mits! I’ve watched Lucy spit out isopods a few times - she really doesnt like the taste. One time in particular she was trying to get every bit out of her mouth with her mit.

Desi has twice now been seen using them. Once he was trying to eat a small katydid (which is a big katydid to him). He barely got it with his tongue, so he grabbed and held it with his mit until he could get a better bite. Then he hooked two stick bugs in one shot, and used his mits to pull them apart and hold one while he ate. Got that one on video!

6EF129BE-50A4-47EA-9EDD-5568EA87213A.jpeg 6DEE064A-2E2C-4571-88CE-1BB241D32D41.jpeg 762938B1-A783-4AF0-8BB5-3AA9DCE250D6.png

Can't see the "switch hands" thing.
Sorry I missed answering when you tagged me...sometimes I miss the notification somehow. :(

Back
Top Bottom