Oops - Kinyongia Boehmei

They seem to be settling in well and are very active and not at all bashful. They’re eating fruit flies, bsf, and small sticks - with small crickets on the way (yuck).

They’re in my basement with temps around 68-70, getting up to 75-80 right up by the lights. Overnight drops to closer to 60. I’m fogging for 2 hours every 4 hours, with a heavy hand spraying each morning. I spray for about a minute, but through the screen so it creates rain drops that continue to fall for quite a while.

I think Im picking up another pair from the seller at the end of the month. Im hoping its a long time before my husband notices... because I dont plan to tell him! Blame @kinyonga :oops:

8A6C7746-5C9D-4BAA-A95E-1621A02CEF03.jpeg
E31D24DB-B922-433E-B487-C824C536C175.jpeg

Do you happen to know of a good reference on the various kinyongia species? Im unsure if these guys are accurately labeled.

Ive seen some reference to other species having a small dorsal crest (k boehemei and others), whereas k tavetana / dwarf fischer’s do not appear to have it. My guys both appear to have the small dorsal crest.

I could have sworn madcham had info on kinyongia but didn’t find much when I looked today.

the label dwarf fischer is very confusing and in principle wrong.
Madcham deals with malagassy spesies

This is
Kinyongia boehmei
from Taita Hills in SE Kenya

the label dwarf fischer is very confusing and in principle wrong.
Madcham deals with malagassy spesies

This is
Kinyongia boehmei

Thanks! After some research (thanks kinyonga) I came to the same conclusion. It seems a few species are blanketly labeled dwarf fischers.

They seem to be settling in well and are very active and not at all bashful. They’re eating fruit flies, bsf, and small sticks - with small crickets on the way (yuck).

They’re in my basement with temps around 68-70, getting up to 75-80 right up by the lights. Overnight drops to closer to 60. I’m fogging for 2 hours every 4 hours, with a heavy hand spraying each morning. I spray for about a minute, but through the screen so it creates rain drops that continue to fall for quite a while.

I think Im picking up another pair from the seller at the end of the month. Im hoping its a long time before my husband notices... because I dont plan to tell him! Blame @kinyonga :oops:

View attachment 260365
View attachment 260366

your temperatires are absolutely OK
Daytime fogging is dangerous and unnecessary, while nighttime is Ok, they sit the whole night in clouds and fog

Last edited:
Thanks! After some research (thanks kinyonga) I came to the same conclusion. It seems a few species are blanketly labeled dwarf fischers.
Mbeware that without night drol to 60s and fogging at night thay will die soon
Daytime in low 70s only and basking I would reduce to maximum 78 for two times half an hour a day (morning and late afternoon

Last edited:
I don't have anything handy right now...but maybe I can find something.

This might help...
https://www.rufford.org/files/14081-1 Detailed Final Report.pdf

The blade-nosed chameleons in Africa are as fillows:

K. tavetana (Mt Meru and Kilimanjaro)
K. boehmei (Taita Hills)
K. multituberculata (W Usambara Mts)
K. matschiei (E Usambara Mts)
K. vosseleri (dtto)
K. uluguruensis (Uluguri Mts)
K. fischeri (Nguru Mts)

there are some 4 yetnundesribed species in the Udzungwa and Eastern Arch Mts.

i work on that group
For long time

Mbeware that without night drol to 60s and fogging at night thay will die soon
Daytime in low 70s only and basking I would reduce to maximum 78 for two times half an hour a day (morning and late afternoon

Thanks! They def drop to at least 60 at night, maybe a little lower. Thats why I keep them in the basement - the temps are low year round.

Im going to stick with the general montane supplementation of light calcium regularly, and light d3 only once per month. No mv.

So @PetNcs what species does @snitz427 have in the photos?

i wrote it already

This is
Kinyongia boehmei

I am absoliteky comfident, as I am the author of its description for science, it wears the name if my beloved teacher and Chameleonologist par excellence: Wolfgang Böhme

i collected the types in 1996 and visited the area many times

i wrote it already

This is
Kinyongia boehmei

I am absoliteky comfident, as I am the author of its descriptiob for science⚛, she wears the name if my beloved Teacher and Chameleonologist par excellence: Wolfgang Böhme

Thank you. Do you have any info or guidance for female receptive/gravid coloration? She is typically bright green with red head, but on occasion she is a slightly darker green with a few white “spots” on her side. Difficult to tell in certain areas/lighting of the cage.

I believe they are both adult based on the size of their nostril protrusions. Do you believe that is an accurate observation?

i wrote it already

This is
Kinyongia boehmei

I am absoliteky comfident, as I am the author of its description for science, it wears the name if my beloved teacher and Chameleonologist par excellence: Wolfgang Böhme

Sorry Petr....I missed that post. :(. I must be getting old! :)

Its been a week and they seem to be doing pretty well! I can’t tell what Lucy’s colors mean. Most of the time she is bright green but sometimes she gets a tad darker with white spots. Im not sure if that means receptive or gravid. She doesn’t seem to have much of a belly so i’m wondering if she is receptive.

I gave them a dose of Pancur this morning. Theyre so small I just put a tiny bit in a cup and let the crickets crawl through it. Have no idea if they got a decent dose or not. Thinking of giving them another dose tomorrow now that hornworms arrived (and they like them).... or just waiting until the next dose in 2 weeks.

They’re eating 2 week old crickets (bleh), bs flies, fruit flies, mantids, and small sticks. Not interested in silkworms, bsfl, supers, or dubia yet. I will keep crickets stocked until Im confident they’re well enough adjusted to cut back on the other foods.

45D94059-121D-413D-949E-1580A6F31BA9.jpeg

Thanks! They def drop to at least 60 at night, maybe a little lower. Thats why I keep them in the basement - the temps are low year round.

Im going to stick with the general montane supplementation of light calcium regularly, and light d3 only once per month. No mv.
Do not gorget bee pollen

Do not gorget bee pollen

Not starting an argument on your thread @snitz427 don't worry, and Idt there is anything wrong with bee pollen, but this is a good example of how one could be confused. People say no multivitamin for montanes, but bee pollen yes! Bee pollen is a multivitamin and if it is digested by the cham, wouldn't it bring the same problems that a 'multivitamin' would bring when dealing with montanes? Or is the hype about multivitamins causing problems a myth and they should just be used in lower doses(which bee pollen could be a good example of) due to the slower metabolism of most montanes. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone here. I just have a mild interest in nutrition and sometimes this stuff doesn't add up to me. I use multis with my Parsons during warm weather and very little of anything during cold weather personally.

Back
Top Bottom