One month old panther baby - URI?

Jon114

Yesterday morning I received a one month old (10-17 DOH) male panther baby from the Chameleon company. It's no more than 2 1/2 inches TL. I've had experience raising a couple veiled clutches (this is my first panther) but now I'm questioning having had a neonate shipped so young. He currently resides in a 20x16x10 sterilite tub with two screen sides and lid. UVB provided with a t5 12" reptisun and basking is 83-85F.

I left him alone for a few hours after receiving him and then offered some calcium dusted 1/8th inch crickets, of which it ate 7 of. I then misted the tub down, and the baby immediately ran to the water droplets forming on the screen and drank and cleaned his turrets. It started walking through some larger droplets while drinking, and at this point I noticed it wasn't breathing as it kept stuffing its face in substantially sized droplets. I promptly removed it back to a perch and noticed a few minutes of heavy breathing but attributed it to simply catching a breath after a deep drink. I left it alone as not to disturb. It went to sleep at 7pm and lights came on at 7 this morning, but I noticed immediately somewhat labored breathing, so I began to watch it more intently. About noon today I observed gaping (while not basking) while taking deep breaths, with normal breathing in between. During the day it ate 6 crickets and 2 roach nymphs and drank during misting. By evening the frequency of abnormal breathing was more apparent, and watching it sleep tonight is a bit painful. It takes a very deep breath every 40 seconds or so with its throat expanded and quick breaths in succession before repeating. Something's definitely wrong and I'm curious as to the cause of this is. My first thought is simply stress of shipping. It didn't come with a heat pack and the shipping night was fairly cool. However from Miami to Orlando it didn't travel very far. Second, I'm wondering if it aspirated on water and is now suffering from secondary drowning. Third, I suppose it could have had it before being shipped, but the vendor is of course a well trusted one.

Whatever the cause, at this point, what can I do? I've never treated a chameleon smaller than 4 months for anything and I can certainly not imagine giving something this ones size an injection or even medication of any sort. I'm worried a trip to the vet may simply exacerbate the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 182
Did u see any excess mucus in the baby mouth?
I will take the baby to the vet asap,since if its an URI,the baby cham will need the correct dose of the antibiotic.
In the mean time,avoid creating a constantly wet cage condition with no air ventilation. Allow a complete drying time in between misting and keep the optimal temperature range and watch out for your chameleon's hydration status,if the baby is receiving the antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom