one eye shut..

Vegun

After doing a search on this apparently common issue I'm left wondering how often the problem just goes away??

3-4 month old mail Veiled kept in perfect living "captive" conditions according to advice given here.
He just all of a sudden woke up with an irritated left eye. It would open if I bothered him enough but he was /is keeping it closed and rolling it around a lot. He opens his mouth more than normal and is acting "bothered" by the situation.
I applied some Eye Refresh drops 3 times now with a q tip/dropper as well as misted him a lot.
Today he is looking and acting normal.
He does go into stress colors quickly now as I'm sure that when I had to apply the drops to his eyes really freaked him out.

Whether it goes away on its own or not really depends on the cause. Many times it is due to overly dry conditions that irritate one or both eyes. Sometimes they get a bit of shed skin under the eyelid. They can scratch the surface of the cornea on the tip of a leaf or twig. All sorts of things.

The first thing I always check is the cage humidity level and check my gauge. I increase misting, shower, or help the cham clear its eye by rinsing it with sterile saline (meant for rinsing contact lenses). This will sting less than water. I don't use any other type of human eyedrops because there could be preservatives or other ingredients I don't know the effects of.

If this doesn't help, then look towards your supplementation to rule out a nutritional deficiency, and check for any discharge that could be the sign of an infection.

i have the same problem too

hi,

my yemen is about 10 months, and has all of a sudden developed this problem. she has been great up until now.

over the past few days, on of her eyes, and occasionally the other, hangs shut, until i come close or there are crickets in the viv, or water droplets.

yesterday, i saw her rubbing the one eyeball on the misted glass door, today she was rubbing the other on a branch.

the only cause i can think of is that for a few days last week, i had to use a hosehold energy saving lightbulb for warmth, as her normal pro rep 60w blew.

temps were fine as i'm on a thermostat, and we've had warm weather.

i dust her crickets and locusts with calci -dust, and am considering changing to nutri bal (which includes both d3 and calcium)

her uv, which is on for 12hrs, is reptiglo 5.0 coil.

she is in a 2.5 foot x 2foot viv at the moment, and i desperately want her better before i put her in a 3.5 foot x 4foot which i have been preparing for her.

any ideas?

thanks

helena

hi,

my yemen is about 10 months, and has all of a sudden developed this problem. she has been great up until now.

over the past few days, on of her eyes, and occasionally the other, hangs shut, until i come close or there are crickets in the viv, or water droplets.

yesterday, i saw her rubbing the one eyeball on the misted glass door, today she was rubbing the other on a branch.

the only cause i can think of is that for a few days last week, i had to use a hosehold energy saving lightbulb for warmth, as her normal pro rep 60w blew.

temps were fine as i'm on a thermostat, and we've had warm weather.

i dust her crickets and locusts with calci -dust, and am considering changing to nutri bal (which includes both d3 and calcium)

her uv, which is on for 12hrs, is reptiglo 5.0 coil.

she is in a 2.5 foot x 2foot viv at the moment, and i desperately want her better before i put her in a 3.5 foot x 4foot which i have been preparing for her.

any ideas?

thanks

helena

What is the humidity level in her cage? With the warm summer temps, are you using an AC in your house? That will dry it out and could lower your normal cage humidity.

hi,

i mist up to 65/70%, 2 - 3 times a day, to ensure it never goes much below 50, and she has good ventilation.

thanks

darn it.

all was good for two days and now he is closing it again...

What would a Vet do?

(no discharge, humidity is fine and has not shed in a while)

Strange..

(not the lack of reply's, behavior)

It's really off and on with the one eye and even the second eye at the same time every now and then..

He appears to enjoys the eye washing sessions.

Appitie is still good and poops look like poops should. Keeping his wieght up, very up actually, fat almost.

I' have replace the incandescent bulb with a ceramic and leaving it on at night. he moves out of the "hot zone" sleep so a 20 degree drop (90 to 70) is about right..

When he is having eye issues his stress colors appear at ab out 85% of capacity...lol

I talked to the local herp vet and he could think of nothing other then a infection of sorts and suggested I keep rinsing with saline solution for a while longer before getting "drastic"..

Any ideas?

fine now!

give thanks!, she is fine now, i was really worried.

unsure if it is on account of any of the things i did.

gave her a soaking! and kept humidity at 85/90% for the better part of two days. this induced a shed (which she hadn't done for a while). and with all the droplets from the misting, she was drinking lots more than usual.

fed her for a few days on juicy wax waxworms dusted in calci dust (she had been on crickets only for about a month)

general clean/tidy of viv, and rearranged branches.

i think that moisture must have played a big part of it.

Back
Top Bottom