OMG What you don't want to see opening the delivery box

laurie

Retired Moderator
So my campani arrived today. My buddy Cheryl (little leaf) mailed her to me. It was the first time Cheryl had ever shipped a cham.

I opened the box and here is what I saw. Well the eggs were in the box, now they are where they should be. The dime is for a size comparison.

8701609799_a3ff94aec2.jpg
[/url]

8701610245_c3090d0134.jpg
[/url]

This is who I expected to see,this is my lovely Julie, all 2 inches of her. For me, love at first sight. Thanks Cheryl.:)

8701611063_472a163e35.jpg
[/url]

8701611703_151bdf5008.jpg
[/url]

After almost having a heart attack I have 7 campani eggs in the incubator. Wish me luck.

That is really what I am afraid of. We even had her checked by a vet, as the person I bought her from thought she might be gravid. Campani are gravid for 40 days. Ruth had her a month, Cheryl kept her another month for us to be sure she was not gravid. And she laid eggs in the deli cup. All I want if for my girl to be ok. I did not want to see eggs in the box, that is awful. Any idea on what I can do for her to help her recover from her ordeal?

Poor girlie! But I'm glad to see she's finally in your hands, Laurie, congrats. She looks great despite how nervous she must have been.

All this talk about laying bins... obviously not necessary :D. She is gorgeous and best of luck with her and the bonus surprise! :cool:

Poor girlie! But I'm glad to see she's finally in your hands, Laurie, congrats. She looks great despite how nervous she must have been.
Thanks Olimpia, after all that work, she still laid in a deli cup.

Congrats! She is beautiful and you got a bonus!
thank Karen, I will only have a few babies.....

wow! she is beautiful!
thank you, I also think she is beautiful

All this talk about laying bins... obviously not necessary :D. She is gorgeous and best of luck with her and the bonus surprise! :cool:
I wish she had used a laying bin, this is to hard on mom

:)

Congrats Laurie!
now we can have yet more pretty babies.

Your heading scared the crap out of me !!! I thought you got an ill or dead cham sent to you ! This is way better then I thought. Congrats !!! Keep everyone updated on how your new gal adjusts !! What a crazy way to have eggs. Poor girl !

I love her name- so pretty ( even tho you forced me to call her "sausage link" :p ) but on a serious note- I am just SICK about what happened :( I feel just awful , I dont get it still- but I am glad she made it there ok- its seems it had to be the stress ? I know the eggs will do well for you- you are the egg Queen :) She is such a special little girl Laurie , I was honored to have her as a house guest - I just feel so bad about what happened- she never showed any of the "clues" , or went off her feed - ( she can sure put away the roaches :p ) I am just glad she ate some baby mantis , and found her little spot in her new cage- she likes to be way high :) those eggs are as tiny and cute as she is :D

Your heading scared the crap out of me !!! I thought you got an ill or dead cham sent to you ! This is way better then I thought. Congrats !!! Keep everyone updated on how your new gal adjusts !! What a crazy way to have eggs. Poor girl !

Same here! I'm glad she's ok! I'm interested in one day (far from now) breeding, but it seems so scary. For now. I will stick to breeding hornworms and silk worms. Easy, I'm moth momma :)

That is really what I am afraid of. We even had her checked by a vet, as the person I bought her from thought she might be gravid. Campani are gravid for 40 days. Ruth had her a month, Cheryl kept her another month for us to be sure she was not gravid. And she laid eggs in the deli cup. All I want if for my girl to be ok. I did not want to see eggs in the box, that is awful. Any idea on what I can do for her to help her recover from her ordeal?

IME let her settle in for a day or two but then thoroughly palpate to make sure she didn't retain one or more eggs. The few times I've had chams lay eggs due to stress and not in their laying bin there's typically been retained eggs. I've had good luck gently (and extroardinarily carefully) pushing them towards the oviduct as well as injections with a med that will induce laying- the name escapes me right now but I'm sure you could get some if need be. If you have a good vet an ultrasound may be in order.

I think you are thinking of oxytocin - I just could not believe when Laurie told me she laid eggs in the cup- I thought she was kidding me at first- I even drove from Toledo to KY just so she would not get shipped gravid- but when the 40 days ( + 20 more ) came and went , we thought she was not gravid-:confused: so we decided to ship her - I feel so bad for her ( and poor Laurie - what a thing to find ) :(

What a surprise!! Julie is beautiful and I'm glad she's okay. Best to keep a close eye on her for retained eggs, however after her ordeal and seeing as she's new in your home, normally you'd give her privacy and leave her be, right? In this case you may not be able to while administering care (feeding, hydrating, etc.) and this could cause more stress to her. I am not familiar with this type of Cham. Are they hardy? Easily stressed...or? I hope she has no residual effects from her shipping experience and wish you both a long and loving friendship!

As for the eggs...BONUS!! :D Julie is really, very beautiful, I can imagine any babies would be stunning!

Back
Top Bottom