Oh Please Say It Isn't True. .

Canadia

I just bought a beautiful umbrella plant for my enclosure.

Got really excited about it. ...

Then got told it will only die because it cannot handle the heat and the bark will die and bugs will come out....

Please say I dont have to have all fake plants :(

I just bought a beautiful umbrella plant for my enclosure.

Got really excited about it. ...

Then got told it will only die because it cannot handle the heat and the bark will die and bugs will come out....

Please say I dont have to have all fake plants :(

Who told you that? It'll be fine, Iv got 3 in with mine only burns the tops that are near the light right at the top

Specific species of umbrella plant? There are a few.....got any pics? I never heard that story about bugs in umbrellas before though......have you seen this yet? - http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp all the plants on the list can certainly be kept in cages ok :)

Who told you that? It'll be fine, Iv got 3 in with mine only burns the tops that are near the light right at the top

It was someone who I know who owns a veiled. They said no plants can withstand the heat. Genuinely was gutted

It was someone who I know who owns a veiled. They said no plants can withstand the heat. Genuinely was gutted

I have photos of plants in with my Veileds :) I hope their chams at least get plenty of good fake foliage :)

Makes me wonder what temperatures they keep their cages at...sounds a bit like an inferno! I use schefflera in mine. Just picked up a new one today actually!

This is my plant...excuse the size.
I only bought it today then had to go straight to work no time to prune it or put the branches in

ieh10k.jpg

Most of us use live plants with lots of success, I don't know what Saharan temperatures your friend is using but with a basking spot of about 85-90*F maybe only the leaves that touch closes to the bulb with dry up, but the plant as a whole should do really well.

Just make sure the soil isn't soaking wet all day every day, these plants to start to rot away if the soil is too wet. But besides that they hold up really well to chameleon cages.

Hanks everyone this has definitely put my mind at rest.
I dunno what hes done with is then but he swore down there was no way it would live :(

Hanks everyone this has definitely put my mind at rest.
I dunno what hes done with is then but he swore down there was no way it would live :(

Well, if I can keep it alive then anyone should be able to.....

Well you all have really made me feel better!!

You know when you get it all planned out then someone tries to ruin it haha

This is really odd. I've always used Schefflera in my setups and can't recall the last one that died.

So basically we ARE saying it isn't true!:p

Thanks everyone now just need to spruce it up...make it look more like home in "chameleon" terms haha

im a noob but even i am keeping an umbrella plant without much issues in my panthers enclosure. here is a picture of when i first got it about 3 months ago, today the leaves are reaching the top of the enclosure and plant has filled out more.

2012-10-17231922-1.jpg

if no one has said it, wash the plant to make sure you get pesticides off it, and then use organic soil to repot. I also used a layer of rocks on bottom of pot and a layer on top for proper drainage.

Back
Top Bottom