Odd things you do being a cham keeper

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Ok so I was just thinking about something that I happen to do that is just odd. Chameleon keeping has taken me down the path of things I never thought I would do.

But my odd thing... So my enclosures have the Dragon strand easy drip pans with the screen tops to them. So anything that falls leaves, shed, poop falls on the screen rather then right into the drip pan. Every time the boys shed I find myself using the hand vac multiple times a day on this bottom screen to remove the shed. So I am first blowing it off all the leaves then vacuuming it up with the hand vac. ? Now I do this because wet shed is like dealing with paper mache and it sticks to my screen which is nasty.

However I was wondering if anyone else is as nuts as I am. :LOL: Or perhaps I am just a special kind of cray cray.

Well, I think we each have our own unique type of crazy. ? This is the only place that I can freely admit I intentionally keep and breed bugs in my home and have a roach colony that I’ve grown quite fond of. I especially enjoy watching them eat and take note of their preferences. I also talk to them when getting into their bins. I curse at crickets and call them nasty names when I have to get into that bin. :rolleyes:

Well, I think we each have our own unique type of crazy. ? This is the only place that I can freely admit I intentionally keep and breed bugs in my home and have a roach colony that I’ve grown quite fond of. I especially enjoy watching them eat and take note of their preferences. I also talk to them when getting into their bins. I curse at crickets and call them nasty names when I have to get into that bin. :rolleyes:
I am pretty sure I have lost it but here I feel safe to share my cray cray :hilarious: I try to talk to one of my closest friends and her eyes glaze over like I am boring her to death lol

Crazy like pulling over and having the city tree trimmers fill up your pickup bed with branches every time you find them trimming oak trees? Hoping your neighbors don't look over the fence while you are striping the same branches of their leaves like Morticia Adams arranging flowers? That kind of crazy???

Crazy like pulling over and having the city tree trimmers fill up your pickup bed with branches every time you find them trimming oak trees? Hoping your neighbors don't look over the fence while you are striping the same branches of their leaves like Morticia Adams arranging flowers? That kind of crazy???
Oh yeah...I forgot about branch collecting from my neighbor's tree trimmings. Lol It's hard now to see the line between what others may think is crazy which has become normal now.

Lol I pulled the car over last week to ask someone if I could take branches... my daughter was so embarrassed. I didn’t even think twice about it. :hilarious:

My neighbor likes to drink a lot... its always fun when he lets his dog out and looks over to see me in the back of my yard with a headlamp on, crawling through the grass at midnight. Half the time I’m not sure he realizes what the heck he is looking at but I’m sure it makes him think he needs to quit drinking.

Oooh, we mean crazy...so my neighbor got a fly trap to trap all the insects they can't stand, and they just drop some fruit and water into it, so I'm always asking them if I can have their bug bag. ?

And I go out front and collect bees off my flowers. I am always getting sideways looks from people when I'm scooping up bees with a cup and piece of cardboard.

My neighbor likes to drink a lot... its always fun when he lets his dog out and looks over to see me in the back of my yard with a headlamp on, crawling through the grass at midnight. Half the time I’m not sure he realizes what the heck he is looking at but I’m sure it makes him think he needs to quit drinking.
I think you win the crazy prize! ? ? ?

When you look around at the devastation a hurricane left and say " Wow, my chameleon is gonna love all these nice new branches! " (Gotta see the bright side, right y'all?)

Or when you find yourself going on a walk around your neighborhood and coming back with two armfuls of sticks you took from your neighbors driveway, then seeing their confusion as you strip and clean them in your front yard like a weirdo????

Or when you get sooo excited when talking about how your chameleon finally pooped with a nice white urate. Or how you've managed to breed a variety of creepy crawlies... ahah...

Don't we all love the look our friends and families give us when we talk about our.. 'specialized' topics??

I have free ranged for like 20 years.

At work people refer to me like a bird head(look that eagle in the zoo acts like you). Constantly scanning/sweeping my head left and right looking at the floor 8 ft in front, looking for "something". Im like look im trained to not step on extended family members.

Also i eyeball veg matter in the trash can at work... hey, about that papaya peel... It would be a dam shame to let that avocado core go to waste. What do you mean you are throwing away the juice pulp?

Back
Top Bottom