Not laying

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
Hi All,

I have waited the 2 days with her enclosure covered as suggested by @Angelwolf. I have only bothered her to mist and feed. She has still not shown any interest in the bottom of her vivarium. She looks at me like I'm off my rocker lol

So my question is... do I keep waiting? Or take her to the vet?

She has been very easy and forgiving of my new keeper mistakes. Healthy, eats well, poop shows slightly dehydrated probably (although she is practically floating away) just finished a shed and is generally pretty sweet.

Do I wait her out? Switch the playsand to a dirt mix? Take her to the vet?

I'll just die if, after we've come this far, I screw up this final part and she is suffering.

Took a quick pic while feeding. She's doing the splits so you can really see her belly.
20170320_135436.jpg

Please show a link to your other thread where Angelwolf made the suggestion.

I hope I captured this correctly:
That is hilarious! As for the other person asking, her eggs are clearly ready and waiting. I would cover the cage for a couple days and let her follow her instincts. They can actually "hold them in", which can result in egg binding.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/yemen-pregnant-or-not.156727/page-2#post-1341765

It seems from most posts I have read, covering and waiting a couple days seems to be a common suggestion. I was hoping it would work!

If I had a pregnant cham, it would be easier to track the number of days from mating to when she would most likely be ready to lay. But since that is not my situation, I'm in the dark with knowing the number of days to typically wait. Any help is appreciated. I can take her to the vet, that is not a problem. But if she is needing to lay, I didn't want to stress her out more with a vet trip and complicate something when patience is all I need.

Thanks...I was just trying to get background information on what's going on.
Can you describe the egglaying bin in her cage...size, etc please?​

Thanks...I was just trying to get background information on what's going on.
Can you describe the egglaying bin in her cage...size, etc please?​

I took a couple pics... it is a black Rubbermaid trashcan cut down to 12". Filled with wet play sand, holds a tunnel

Attachments

• 20170320_160859.jpg
    20170320_160859.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170320_160848.jpg
    20170320_160848.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170320_160926.jpg
    20170320_160926.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 52
Has she done any digging at all recently? Did she stop or slow down eating recently?
If she shows signs of lethargy or digs and fills the hole in but doesn't lay or sits low in the cage or sleeps during the day then it's definitely time to go to the vet. Females can be such a worry. :(

Has she done any digging at all recently? Did she stop or slow down eating recently?
If she shows signs of lethargy or digs and fills the hole in but doesn't lay or sits low in the cage or sleeps during the day then it's definitely time to go to the vet. Females can be such a worry. :(

No digging, not even checking it out. Not that I've seen.

She has not slowed down eating. I keep her basking temp about 85.

The day before I covered her cage, she was outside catching crane flies, climbing in the sun. In her enclosure, she moves around as usual... maybe a little slower, the sand hasn't been disturbed at all.

She doesn't sleep during the day, but will stay in one spot for some time, then move to another. If there is something to hunt, she will get them all. She doesn't hang out at the bottom until bed.

For the last 2 days, she has put herself to bed a couple hours early. She doesn't close her eyes, but will stay there, tail curled, until the timer turns the light off at 7:30. Her current bed is near the bottom in the opposite corner from the laying bin.

Yes, I have more gray hair since becoming her mum. :(

They are excellent at making us worry. I wouldn't panic yet. If she's still eating and hasn't shown any interest in the laybin, she's not ready. It will happen when it's time

Hi @opheliaeatsbugs . @Nursemaia is so very right . They certainly have a way of worrying us . My baby girl Frances laid a few months ago . I waited days for her to lay . I'm positive I drove @Nursemaia and @Matt Vanilla Gorilla absolutly crazy . Anyhow after waiting quite some time she finally started digging . Frances dug and dug for days in every pot small and big . Then picked her pot took a day off I thought for sure I was headed to the vet with an egg bound baby girl . Nope she headed back down and in one hour layed covered everything up and headed back up . She was a bit dehydrated but she ended up doing wonderful I had to up the misting to very long sessions thank you @Remkon . Just watch her closely but still giving her privacy . It could be a bit more time she looks like she's ready to pop lol . Wish you the very best luck .

Hi @opheliaeatsbugs . @Nursemaia is so very right . They certainly have a way of worrying us . My baby girl Frances laid a few months ago . I waited days for her to lay . I'm positive I drove @Nursemaia and @Matt Vanilla Gorilla absolutly crazy . Anyhow after waiting quite some time she finally started digging . Frances dug and dug for days in every pot small and big . Then picked her pot took a day off I thought for sure I was headed to the vet with an egg bound baby girl . Nope she headed back down and in one hour layed covered everything up and headed back up . She was a bit dehydrated but she ended up doing wonderful I had to up the misting to very long sessions thank you @Remkon . Just watch her closely but still giving her privacy . It could be a bit more time she looks like she's ready to pop lol . Wish you the very best luck .

Thanks so much for sharing ur story. It makes me feel a bit better... I will continue to keep her viv covered and just keep on the same misting and feeding schedule. I feel like I'm bugging the crap out of everyone too lol I'm so grateful and appreciative of everyone's help :love:

After she lays, how long till we have another clutch?

Thanks so much for sharing ur story. It makes me feel a bit better... I will continue to keep her viv covered and just keep on the same misting and feeding schedule. I feel like I'm bugging the crap out of everyone too lol I'm so grateful and appreciative of everyone's help :love:

After she lays, how long till we have another clutch?
From what I read 6 to 12 months @Nursemaia can answer that for sure . Frances has only laid once . I understand why the worry believe me I understand !!. The worry never ends acually lol . A very wise woman once said to me on here welcome to the world of worry . Correct she was ;).

From what I read 6 to 12 months @Nursemaia can answer that for sure . Frances has only laid once . I understand why the worry believe me I understand !!. The worry never ends acually lol . A very wise woman once said to me on here welcome to the world of worry . Correct she was ;).

Dang... I have enough worry trying to raise my two punks into decent human beings lolol

Well... deep breaths over here. I'll reach out again at the end of the week and check in. Thanks again :)

So I said I would check in at the end of the week. I'm back :rolleyes:

Today if the 5th day of being covered and nothing has happened. Except I'm plagued by weird lizard dreams.

I uncovered her cage, fed her, put her plants outside to dry out, opened the blinds and windows and took her outside for 40 mins of sun. Came back inside, turned on the Monsoon and she played in the water for 15 mins.

In the past 5 days she had 2 poops. The runny one is too many horned worms. The second is during her shower. I don't see much yellow, so I'm hoping that issue has passed.

I see no reason to take her to the vet, yet. She not acting different/bad in any way I can tell. Unless someone thinks otherwise, then I would take her.
@Nursemaia @kinyonga @Angelwolf

Attachments

• 20170324_112122.jpg
    20170324_112122.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170324_130254.jpg
    20170324_130254.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170324_112102.jpg
    20170324_112102.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 33
I don't think you need to take her to the vet there's not really anything the vet can do right now besides an exam and x-rays. I would uncover her and take care of her normally. When you see her stop eating and going to the bottom then that is when she is ready to lay and then that is when I cover her back up again and leave her alone. Her poop looks good

Back
Top Bottom