Yemen pregnant or not

I hope you don't mind if I jump in with a (related) question? I'm sure it will make more sense once I've been thru it once, but right now I'm super confused. It seems like my female veiled has eggs. She has not been mated. I understand that sometimes they don't develop a clutch but I've been watching for signs: there has been no dramatic change in color (she's not around other reptiles), no interest in the laying bin I provided or the bottom of enclosure, hasn't cut back on food... but does look like she has bumps that could be eggs. She seems and looks healthy and behaves as she always has.

Is there anything I can do, or should be doing? Should I cover the enclosure for a couple days?

Since she hasn't been mated, how can you tell when to start the countdown?
IMG_20170316_173143_629.jpg

She's got the same lumps mine has but I know mine mated cos they did it on my leg when they were bout out for free range. I know chams do lay infertile clutches but am interested in how long for them as week so following

They were both out for free range and pickles(f) was sat on my knee when Stan (m) just sauntered over. Which is nothing new cos these two tolerate each other. Then he flashed his colours she laid down and away they went on my knee. Couldn't move so just had to sit there lol

Attachments

• IMG_2244.JPG
    IMG_2244.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 103
That is hilarious! As for the other person asking, her eggs are clearly ready and waiting. I would cover the cage for a couple days and let her follow her instincts. They can actually "hold them in", which can result in egg binding.

Twenty minutes before they moved off. In one way it was interesting to see but in another it was disturbing. My Viv had been covered for a few days now hoping the privacy will aid her

Attachments

• IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2509.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 133
That is hilarious! As for the other person asking, her eggs are clearly ready and waiting. I would cover the cage for a couple days and let her follow her instincts. They can actually "hold them in", which can result in egg binding.

Cover and Leave everything else the same? heat/lights, mister, etc.?

When a female is digging don't let her see you watching her! It will likely make her abandon the hole and it can lead to eggbinding.
Good luck!

I won't peek. Hopefully, I'll hear some activity :D

@kinyonga... for the next couple days while the cage is covered, should I feed her? keep the misting schedule? or just leave her totally alone?

You can feed and water her but if she's digging just walk away and do it later!
It's better not to have leftover insects in the cage when she's digging anyway.

Little pickles update when I uncovered her this morning to feed and spray her noticed she's started digging a little hole in the substrate. So fingers crossed should be close

Btw thank you everyone for all the advice it's greatly appreciated

Steve(new Cham daddy)

Thanks a lot I'm so relieved. She spent 36 hours in the hole and I was taking her to the vets at tea time cos I was worried. But got in from work and all the soil had been put back and she was sat on the edge of her food bowl waiting for me to feed her

Hahaha i took off of work when mine laid, i was a nervous wreck, you hear horror story's of holes collapsing. I was looking at her from time to time but she never saw me

Back
Top Bottom