Not Adjusting

thealissa

I moved my ~11 month old female veiled into a different cage (cleaner, more to climb on, and a laying bin). I know that some take a while to adjust to their new surroundings, but it has been almost a week, and she's still in the same spot as she was on the first day I put her in.

The cage is in the same general location in the house, and it's the same exact size cage (18x18x36" all aluminum screening).

I try to leave her alone for the most part, so I never see her moving. She is eating and pooping still though. What else can I do for her? I don't want to move her back into her old cage, as I have already removed all of the plants and such from it and am getting ready to sell it used.

I'm still doing her misting, feeding, supplementing, light schedule, etc the same as I always have. Literally, she's just in a different cage.

How big is the cage? Some females just feel more comfortable in smaller cages.

It's 18"L by 18"W by 36"H. The same dimensions as her old cage. She has less space in this one since there's a laying bin and more plants, but that's all that's different.

Try to remodel it like her old one? Some chams freak out when you change their cages. See if it helps at all.

I don't understand why you are worried.
You said she is eating and pooping and I assume she is drinking.
She's almost a year old and adult females are not that active if they feel safe.

-Brad

Constant remodeling in an effort to appease it will simply stress it out more. A week isnt so long anyway. Rule one, is always re-evaluate the enviroment first.
Are heating , lighting, dripper, basking spot & humidity accurate and suitable? Has cage placement changed? Did you change the placement of basking branches/vines to accomodate the extra plants?
Changing any of these, changes the familiarity of the cage and requires adjustment.
Thermoregulation for example is far more precise than many imagine, body posture and placement play a part. A few inches this way or that, up or down, makes alot of difference.
I beleive the become familiar with the limitations of a given cage in regard to the above and other factors and this will require re-adjustment when there is change.
In simple terms, they get used to things in the cage not changing and know the best spots, placement etc for visual security, thermoregulation etc.

In the wild things dont stay the same, they change often so lizards constantly adapt, they dont become complacent like captives.
Just give it more time and if you added much larger/bushier plants that take up alot more space, make sure its not too crowded. They dont stay among really dense bush all the time, they do need a little walking about space. :)

Back
Top Bottom