Nosy Babies almost a month old!

I have some general questions if you don't mind me using your photos for examples... :eek: Not in any way critiquing your husbandry. :cool:

Q1. How can you tell the difference between gular edema and a threat posture?

Q2. The heads look big to me. Are they considered premies?

Q3. How are you telling the difference between the male and female at this age?

Thanks

I am not making this an all out battle. It would take far more than this to truly rile me.

I guess it was this...
Originally Posted by TreelionsUK
Yes they deffo are showing signs of edema,becareful with them,and that paper at the bottom is disgusting.
Would be a shame to lose them,Hope things go ok for them

I read this more or less as "You are killing them". :( Sometimes it is hard to get a point across through typing over the internet.

To say I am passionate about them would be an understatement. Obsessed is a good word.

Let's just agree to spread the message to keep your chameleons clean.

I never said "You are killing them" Don't read into it looking for hidden meanings and sarcasm.....If i thought you were killing them i would not hesitate to say so...Bluntly

Peace and love:)..... Also use Zoomed reptisafe in your water,it will help to overcome the edema problems you are having

Last edited:
I have some general questions if you don't mind me using your photos for examples... :eek: Not in any way critiquing your husbandry. :cool:

Q1. How can you tell the difference between gular edema and a threat posture?

Q2. The heads look big to me. Are they considered premies?

Q3. How are you telling the difference between the male and female at this age?

Thanks

These are great questions! And I have some interesting answers.

Threat posture goes away. In babies and adults with edema the chubby looking neck stays. Having personally asked the long term keepers and experts-it is truly often difficult to know what causes edema.

Big heads can mean preemies-but most baby lizards, and things coming out of eggs :p have large heads. My own offspring have large heads as I am sure any Mom would attest to! :p:eek::rolleyes: Now-that being said...do a search for Chyna-the Mom of these babies. She has the biggest head of any chameleon I have ever seen. She is named Chyna after that female wrestler-so now we ask is it genetics?

Kent has taught me the secret of sexing baby panthers. I go one step further and send him pictures and he does it for me! :D

Dont forget me Juli!!!!!! I helped sex one LOL:p

It seems the slight edema in the few hatchlings of mine has pretty much subsided. I know of a couple other keepers who have had the same thing happen. I am sure they will be fine........newbie:p

I opted for the Whirlpool RO sink unit from Lowes. It came with a 3 gallon container which resides under the kitchen sink and a faucet that I placed just next to the main kitchen faucet. We use the water for nearly everything we and the chameleons consume and I have to admit, it's been one of the better purchases for our home all around.

But, perhaps the edema was from something in our water in particular. Maybe it's time to get it tested again.

Luis

Dont forget me Juli!!!!!! I helped sex one LOL:p

It seems the slight edema in the few hatchlings of mine has pretty much subsided. I know of a couple other keepers who have had the same thing happen. I am sure they will be fine........newbie:p

Cain! Quit being mean to me! :p

2 more out! :)

DSCN4930.jpg

DSCN4931.jpg

Juli,

Cute babies!

As for the edema, its not always whats in the water, but rather, its the amount of water (or lack there of) that causes it. I have chams that are good drinkers and ones that are a pain in the butt to get to drink. The ones that are the stingy drinkers are the ones who are more likely to get the edema in my experience. I always feed my stingy chams silkworms to help with the hydration.

See Ya,

Todd

Back
Top Bottom